Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I used to really enjoy what I do, but not so much anymore

I am the facility director for a large Parcel of commercial real estate. Been here 19+ years. I love the variety of things I have to do . Everydays different. Some good, some not so good. Managing people is one of the things I wish I could get away from. I am happiest just being a tech and diagnosing and servicing equipment

Quote Originally Posted by aruddick View Post
    This is the only grown up employment I have had. Gone from gopher to installer to service tech to owner of small shop to owner of 25 man shop. Started out at very little to great pay. THIS IS A GREAT PROFFESSION!!!!

That is awesome. Heard stories, and almost have seen it done first-hand. You are an inspiration, thanks for posting.

But I apologize for sounding like a sappy thank you card.

Smile I love this job

Started at Ferris State in 79, completed a 20yr career in the army doing this, and now im a service tech for a reputable company. I thank the good lord everyday the job I have. I enjoy getting up and putting on the uniform to go to work. Only responsibility is to myself, and the customer. Wouldn't want an office job, to much BS to deal with. After 20yr career in the army, i only want to be responsible for me. I love the work, people, and the fact I learn something everyday. I ain't proud, if I don't know I ask, I will continue to do this job until I either cannot physically do it, I drop dead on the job, or the time comes when I don't like to get up and go to work. It is then time to do something else

Though I'm thankful I have a job to go to and work with great people after all these years in the trade that is what working in the trade has become for me, a place to go for X amount of hours a day. I feel partly because where I am the work is no longer challenging and no personal satisfaction.

I too love what I do. For the most part I'm in the office now that I'm the General Manager but still love to troubleshoot those problem systems that our techs struggle with.

It's gotten so that for the last several years it really doesn't feel like a job at all. The work day and the weekends kind of blur together. Monday thru Friday I go to "work" and spend time with people I consider friends, we have a good time doing what we do and before you know it, it's Saturday.

When I started out in this trade I remember racing the clock because the day flew by so fast. When I got really good at this( I read every manual I could get my hands on which taught me how these things worked) the best feeling was getting that equipment going again which does wonders for your ego. That's probably why so many service techs are just a little arrogant. The men and women that are truly cut out for this trade are the ones that will never complain about their jobs or wish they were doing something else. If you hear someone doing that then, yeah, they should find something else because they just don't get it. Freedom to be in charge of yourself, to learn to rely on your self, and to make decisions on your own are just a few of the rewards and you'll find that these are things that will carry over into your everyday life. You learn how to think and act in a logical manner that others will say about you is " he's got a lot of good common sense".

I've managed restaraunts, been a broker for a text book company, commercial electrician and hvac. Hvac has been the best fit for me.
    It's not my job..... It's my career and I love it.
    If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

Been so slow right now, I entered the apartment maintnance field just to see what is like, there were aleast 25 guys appliying for this job which required a general knowledge
    HVAC test . well with over 16 yrs doing AC I aced the exam the other guys did not do so well but had apartment maint experience, myself zero ,,
    I got the job starting at $16 hr, drug testing ,background check character reference check, driving record check. credit check, an essay as to why I do AC and yes freon certification check.
    The first week of employment consisted of picking up dog sh!!!! around the property. filling cracks on exterior wall using silicone, uncloging toiles full of sh!!!t and being a butler for the vip guest.
    The second week well ......I QUIT,,,I hated this job.
    I rather collect $210 a week in unemployment than doing apartment maintance again.
    my point is ,,now I love doing HVAC service and installs..

I enjoy what I do as a start-up technician, but the current state of things is making it very hard for me to advance in my career and learn new things. I find myself bored doing start-ups, but I am sure once I manage to service and see things many of you guys see everyday, then it would become more enjoyable. I come across different things here and there, but the majority of what I do is repetitive and mundane.

Thumbs up Love it!

Spent over 10 year in the IT field and although the work was challenging this has it beat hands down. The mix of mental and physical skills in this field are perfect for me.

panama city beach (aka lower alabama or LA) FL
    love my job love the work and love the company i work for and i do the grunge work I install replacement work not new construction

Live it, love it, breathe it 24/7/365, wouldn't have it any other way!

no
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123