+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Capacitance Meter/Microfarads

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrL_Brann View Post
    But my flukes will zero on amps will yours?
    i gave you the book that shows how to check capacitance without a meter

mine likes to get a head start at 3 tenths lmao

but! my ohm scale see's things yours wimpers on
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post

mine likes to get a head start at 3 tenths lmao

LOL
    Look to the past to learn;look forward to live.

Coach Dean E. Smith

Post Likes
    fluke337

Post Likes
    You dont even need a capacitance function on your meter. You can check the capacitor under a load by using this simple calculation

Take the amps off the start winding multiply that by 2650 and then divide that number by the voltage across the capacitor

2650 is a constant

so let say my compressor is drawing 6.8 amps on the start winding. Now I multiply that by 2650 which gives me 18020 now I divide that number by the voltage across the capacitor if you have a dual cap than you would be reading across common and herm so lets say that number was 364 volts so
    18020/364=49.505495 So if our cap was a 50uf we would be in pretty good shape
    What cant be done correctly shouldn't be done at all

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryand View Post
    You dont even need a capacitance function on your meter. You can check the capacitor under a load by using this simple calculation

Take the amps off the start winding multiply that by 2650 and then divide that number by the voltage across the capacitor

2650 is a constant

so let say my compressor is drawing 6.8 amps on the start winding. Now I multiply that by 2650 which gives me 18020 now I divide that number by the voltage across the capacitor if you have a dual cap than you would be reading across common and herm so lets say that number was 364 volts so
    18020/364=49.505495 So if our cap was a 50uf we would be in pretty good shape
    This assumes the current through the cap is 60 Hz wave, and might possibly have to be a sine wave. I'm not sure the freq. the cap sees doesn't depend on the motor speed.
    V = IZ, and Z for a cap = 1/(2xPIxfxC)

Post Likes
    I think I will just stick to my Fluke 902. Forget about the math its quicker to use the meter.

Post Likes
    My UEI DL389 is pretty good for caps, you have to give it several seconds for the reading to stabilize on the larger caps. It's been a decent meter except when the batteries get low just before the low battery light comes on.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

FLUKE 902 and 179

Post Likes

Smile checking capaciters

I use my fluke16 or 116 even though i have a supco meter.I wish they still made the fluke 16. It has really been an alround good dependable meter.

Post Likes
    The run cap bandit only cares about one thing. If it ain't in a box, he's selling you one. Some guys don't even check 'em. How about the shake test? How about the rust on it test? Ugh.

Fluke 16 and recently the FP sc76. Both meter the same on quickie stuff.

Post Likes
    Fieldpiece SC76 or SC77

Works just fine for what I need... Including caps.

The other week, my Plasma TV quit... After a few hours of googling, I find that the power supply board is probably the problem. I took it apart and starting checkign caps on the power supply board. FP meter worked just fine... even the itty-bitty caps.

OH, BTW: found a replacement PS board for the TV, it is in transit to me as I type. If this works, I guess I can add TV tech to my skills...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in