Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Ammonia leak kills three

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...aths-1.4360521

An ammonia leak at an arena killed three people including a refrigeration worker. Any of you guys still work with this stuff? I've always been curious about working with it but now I think I'm going to stay safely away.

Post Likes
    This happened in my home province of British Columbia, Canada.

Tragic!

I went to school with a couple CIMCO guys and thankfully none of them were involved in this incident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Absolutely it's tragic nobody should ever have to die on the job.

4. Likes wreakingHaVAC liked this post
    Post Likes
    I work with it occasionally. I go to an eight hour ammonia safety training every year. It definitely takes a little extra awareness. I keep an SCBA on my van. I put on a full face respirator anytime I open a system, at least when I open it.

Post Likes
    Guy from Cimco was from the Alberta division of the company. Two city workers (one president of the AARFP and one I assume a rink worker) also died in the accident. I would assume one of two possibilities:

1) Cimco guy had something bad happen and was overpowered. The maintenance guys tried to help.
    2) All three were in the space at the same time and they were all overwhelmed by a leak due to a failure

Truly tragic.

One of the city workers was the president of The Alberta Association of Recreation Facility Personnel (AARFP). I believe the AARFP offers courses for training rink operators. I'm not too familiar with Alberta regulations though.
    http://www.aarfp.com/cgi-bin/courses.cgi

Post Likes
    Man that sucks. My boys grew up playing hockey and I coached...several incidences of CO in rinks we were at but no one ever died.

With ammonia in many RV fridges it's a wonder folks aren't overcome more often.

Post Likes
    What costs more three lives
    or a retrofit. There's your awnser as to why that piece of crap is still in operation.

Post Likes
    NASA had one like that back in the 60s I think, with nitrogen. 3 seems to be the magic number. 1st guy drops, next two go try to help and they drop too. When I did Solar manufacturing, during facility evacs, we were always told if you saw someone down, continue evacuating, but let someone know where they were at once you were at the muster point. Ammonia at least you could smell if there was a leak.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    What costs more three lives
    or a retrofit. There's your awnser as to why that piece of crap is still in operation.
    Safety
    Safety
    Safety

NH3 has its place but like anything else precautions MUST be taken and procedures must be followed. I'll bet several steps were not followed from all associated with the operation of that facility.

Post Likes
    I almost bought it in a keg cooler walk in a week back. N2 generator was running way too long and not keeping pressure so I figured there was a leak. Walked into the cooler and in less than a minute got woozy and hustled my butt back into fresh air. Killed the supply, opened the door to ventilate. Found that the evening bartender had removed the keg tap from a keg and just left it on the floor w/o turning off the gas... This apparently had been going all night in the closed cooler. Also emptied half of the liquid CO2 tank. Thankful that another bartender had not gone in there alone... Who'da thunk that CO2 and N2 would do you in but it does.

This said, I like ammonia. Best refrigeration systems ever. Slight leak is easily "nosed" out. The guys is BC probably got asphyxiated from an "accidental" rupture of some part and were in an enclosed space.

Take away is if you are ever in a situation where you have a sudden discharge, get out... NOW. Do not attempt to stop the discharge because it only takes seconds for you to lose consciousness and then it is over.

Post Likes
    I have worked with small ammonia systems in years past but not in a long time. In a State I lived in once there was a move in the 60's by the gas co. to use ammonia for cooling in homes. I had one when I lived in Ark.
    Problem was finding someone aside from the Utility to fix them. It's not that they are any more difficult, just quite different. Along with some special tools.
    There is probably an opportunity for someone. The availability of techs is scarce. A supply house asked me quite awhile back if I was interested in the work at a skating rink but I wasn't at the time. A Utility company once offered training when they were pushing absorption systems for homes but I don't know where a person could find training today even though it's a good choice for some places like ice skating rinks, food storage.
    Probably a manufacturer for ammonia or lithium bromide systems might offer it.
    Anything built to code is built to the minimum legal standard

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    are we talking about an anhydrous ammonia plant?

i ask because anhydrous ammonia is insanely dangerous. every year a few farmers die from anhydrous ammonia injection equipment spills or leaks... the stuff will destroy your lungs very rapidly.
    dont even google anhydrous ammonia injuries...

Post Likes
    There must be some PPE requirements when working on these systems.
    I miss you mom and dad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast