Post Likes

Furnace Filter Advice

I have been looking into a proper furnace filter. There seems to me a lot of conflicting information out there on the internet. Air flow and pressure seem to be the big issue. 3m filters I am wondering if they are too restrictive. A guy I worked with told me to put a 1" cheap filter in the furnace as anything more would be to restrictive. He told me an HVAC person said this.

Bottom line is I am looking for professional advice from people who do this for a living.

In addition to this what do you think of duct cleaning. Should this be done on a regular schedule.

I want to breathe healthy and keep my equipment working properly.

Here is what I have

1. 1600 square foot home with 3 floors plus the basement

2. Trane XV80 furnace

3. Filter cabinet size to accommodate 16 x 25 x 4

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rob17 View Post
    I have been looking into a proper furnace filter. There seems to me a lot of conflicting information out there on the internet. Air flow and pressure seem to be the big issue. 3m filters I am wondering if they are too restrictive. A guy I worked with told me to put a 1" cheap filter in the furnace as anything more would be to restrictive. He told me an HVAC person said this.

Bottom line is I am looking for professional advice from people who do this for a living.

In addition to this what do you think of duct cleaning. Should this be done on a regular schedule.

I want to breathe healthy and keep my equipment working properly.

Here is what I have

1. 1600 square foot home with 3 floors plus the basement

2. Trane XV80 furnace

3. Filter cabinet size to accommodate 16 x 25 x 4
    Yes...use the cheap 1inch filters and replace monthly. The higher the Merv rating, the harder the unit has to work harder than nessesary.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssobel View Post
    Yes...use the cheap 1inch filters and replace monthly. The higher the Merv rating, the harder the unit has to work harder than nessesary.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    That's not good advice....
    I use a merv 10 rated poly panel, with a metal frame, that does not allow for any air bypass.
    At my old house, I had to change the pa ela monthly, or it would restrict the flow greatly. However, my current house, they're barely dirty after 6 months. The difference is return grille locations, and sealed and insulated ductwork throughout the house.

Some people with allergy problems require microbial filters. Hospitals require HEPPA 95% filters, etc....

Post Likes
    That cabinet size sounds like you could get a perfect fit in it rated at 16x25x4. Because of the size the pressure drop is less and it will run longer. I use the Aprilaire extended media filters, they are less restrictive after a year of use than a 1" pleated is new.

I do not recommend duct cleaning, too expensive for what you get. A duct cleaning guy will be along shortly to say I am wrong. EPA says it will take 16-32 manhours to properly clean a duct system. I have never seen a company take longer than 8 man hours.

The thing is you can not get all the dust/dirt out, and there will always be more going in, so you will have to do it again a few years down the road. Put in the good filter like the ones I mentioned. They will catch most of the particles down to .3 microns so the air coming out will be clean even if the return duct is dirty. The supply duct will not be an issue as any dust will either pack in and not move or blow out and be gone. The Aprilaire will require a new cabinet. These filters will last about a year will cost about the same or less than a 1" pleated filter changed every month for a year ie filter cost*12. Bottom line, cleaner air, less restriction, cheaper annual cost.

5. Likes ziggyhere liked this post
    Post Likes
    Moved to AOP.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Your best bet would be getting 16x25x4 filter. They are actually less restrictive.

Post Likes
    When using 1" deep filters Most systems don't have enough filter area sizing. Most will need 2 large return areas in the conditioned area or a filter cabinet holding 2 large slated filters.

You will never have two much filter area...Never use 1" deep pleated filters; I like the Purolator P-312 media filters as they filter better than the cheapest filters & yet have low pressure-drops.
    AOP Forum Rules:

Rules for Posting

Rules For Equipment Owners

Equipment Owners Find a Contractor HERE!

Free online whole house load calculator & Sizing: http://www.loadcalc.net/ Anyone can use it...!

udarrell