Post Likes

thermo scientific -86c

im a chiller guy so this is kinda outa my wheel house headed to look at one on monday and noticed while reading the iom that there is a rs232 port is there any software i should have installed on my laptop. also any tips or common occurrences with equipment like this would be greatly appreciated. dont know much about the issue other than not making temp

Post Likes
    Cascade systems.

One system removes the heat from the case, the other removes heat from the first.
    There tech support is good, giver them a call.

Post Likes
    These things seem to always be in some kind of third basement bunker with no cell service for me. If they have training on these things it would be nice but I've never seen it offered.

Post Likes
    A lot of On The Job training.

Thermo Scientific does offer classes but i could never get the boss to pay for 5 days.

Post Likes
    Most of the ones I work on are older versions. There is a probe coming out of the heat exchanger you can connect to your temperature meter. The temperature has to get low enough for the 2cd stage to come on. Ditto on their tech support. They are very helpful.

Post Likes
    If it's an electrical problem, then troubleshoot like anything else.

If it's a refrigerant problem, the high stage is a weigh in charge, and the low stage is charged to a static pressure when everything is at ambient. Easy to overcharge the low stage if things are cold.
    A skilled Tech would solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    Sometimes the evaporators on the low side get oil logged. I have to turn them off to let them warm up. When I turn them back on the oil will go back to the compressor.

Post Likes
    What model?
    Has it been moved recently?
    What refrigerants being used?

Have the customer shut it down over the weekend. This way the refrigeration systems
    can stabilize and come up to ambient room temperature when you arrive.

If they have gauges on refer systems look and I.d. high stage and the low stage.
    Machine I.d. tag should have refrigerants used and how much. Usually they are:

High stage: R-404a or R-507 newer stuff. Older stuff R-502, R-12, and R-22
    Low stage: R-23 and R-508b " ". Older stuff R-503, R-13, and R-13b

80% of the time these systems have leaks. Look for oil and bring leak detector.
    Prepare yourself for the cost of low temp refrigerant. Virgin DuPont R-23 $ 125.00 per pound 10 and 20 pounders
    R-508b $ 150 to $175 per pound and same size containers sold. $ 150.00 deposit on hard cylinder.

If your system is small a.k.a. bench top with fractional h.p. comps. then system charges are very small
    less than 2 lbs. Good luck!

Post Likes
    Thanks guys I found a locked up high stage compressor will be replacing compressor and adding oil separator as per factory recommendations.

10. Likes pecmsg liked this post