Post Likes

Steam boiler / domestic hot water combo water level issue

I have an old Burnham steam boiler that incorporates a loop to heat the domestic hot water. The DHW temps stay high in the winter heating months , but the supply of hot enough water in the summer dwindles. The water level was manually increased and this solved the problem. My question is if anyone might know of a way that the automatic fill/low water cutoff valve on the boiler could be adjusted to a higher level ? Thanks much

Post Likes
    how full is the boiler when the summer DHW needs a "refill"?

can you still see air in the sight glass?
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    The boiler stays at a constant water level , year around. And yes, the sight glass is half full of air (corresponds to the stamped water level mark on the side of the auto fill/ low water cut- off valve's iron body ).

Post Likes
    OK then, if the DHW refill in the summer brings it up to winter levels as marked on the boiler then the filler system needs adjustment, cleaning or replacement. the boiler water level should maintain regardless of waterver system is calling for boiler operation.

I wanted to verify that you didnt have to overfill to get the DHW to work.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    Just to clarify -

1. So long as the boiler is heating the house - with the boiler water at the correct level - the domestic water temperature is acceptable?

2. But when the boiler is not being used to heat the house - and the boiler water is at the correct level - the domestic water temperature is NOT acceptable?

3. But when the boiler is not being used to heat the house - and the boiler water is increased Above the correct level - the domestic water temperature IS acceptable?

If so; has that always been the case? Or is this a newer phenomenon?

What keeps the boiler from heating the house in the summer? Is there a valve to stop the steam from leaving the boiler?

What temperature is the boiler controlled at when the only need is heating domestic hot water?

Are both of the domestic water pipes to the boiler lower than the correct boiler water level?

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by hArte View Post
    I have an old Burnham steam boiler that incorporates a loop to heat the domestic hot water. The DHW temps stay high in the winter heating months , but the supply of hot enough water in the summer dwindles. The water level was manually increased and this solved the problem. My question is if anyone might know of a way that the automatic fill/low water cutoff valve on the boiler could be adjusted to a higher level ? Thanks much
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Just to clarify -

1. So long as the boiler is heating the house - with the boiler water at the correct level - the domestic water temperature is acceptable?

2. But when the boiler is not being used to heat the house - and the boiler water is at the correct level - the domestic water temperature is NOT acceptable?

3. But when the boiler is not being used to heat the house - and the boiler water is increased Above the correct level - the domestic water temperature IS acceptable?

If so; has that always been the case? Or is this a newer phenomenon?

What keeps the boiler from heating the house in the summer? Is there a valve to stop the steam from leaving the boiler?

What temperature is the boiler controlled at when the only need is heating domestic hot water?

Are both of the domestic water pipes to the boiler lower than the correct boiler water level?

PHM
    --------
    Hi Mikey Yes, to your first three questions. The shortage is fairly recent, as of this summer.The only thing I can figure is that the boiler must have a limit switch to prevent reaching a high enough temperature to make steam, when operating in the summer ( I don't know what temperature that is ).There is an externally piped mixing valve that takes care of the too hot DHW in the winter , I presume. The 2 domestic water pipes are about 3'' apart, one above the other. The boiler water level is about 3/4'' below the bottom of the upper pipe.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    Post Likes
    Do yourself a favor, install a DWH in place of the coil in the boiler as a separate zone drawn from the bottom of the boiler, or better yet a separate water heater for summer months. Or just suffer on.
    “You don't get paid for the hour. You get paid for the value you bring to the hour.” Jim Rohn

Post Likes
    That's what I like, options ! Thanks thanks for your advice, AtticAce !