Post Likes

Non-Azeotropic blends

Are the properties still the same after recovering and recharging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris4u13 View Post

Theoretically yes, they should be, as long as you didn't lose a significant amount of it to atmosphere. If you lose very much, it's impossible to tell, which part of that blend is lost. Thus, having a different blend, essentially creating a new refrigerant.

Post Likes
    Fractionation is another conncern, when reusing these refrigerants.
    Great study.
    http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewc...&context=iracc

Post Likes
    Fractionation is what I was describing...

Post Likes
    But I just realized the title says, " non azeotropic blend" which would mean a standard refrigerant, like R22. To which case there would not be fractionation. Instead, it would remain R22, with the same properties as before.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wreakingHaVAC View Post
    ...the title says, " non azeotropic blend" which would mean a standard refrigerant, like R22.
    That isn't correct. A refrigerant may be either a pure compound or a mixture (blend) of two or more refrigerants. ... Examples of mixtures are R502, R404A and R407C. A mixture can behave either as a pure refrigerant (azeotropic mixtures), or differently (non-azeotropic, or zeotropic,mixtures).

https://www.achrnews.com/articles/82...o-refrigerants

Check out Icemeister's Back Room

Read My Latest Rambling:
    What Is Mechanical Subcooling?

...and a new calculator:
    Nitrogen Pressure Calculator

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    That isn't correct. A refrigerant may be either a pure compound or a mixture (blend) of two or more refrigerants. ... Examples of mixtures are R502, R404A and R407C. A mixture can behave either as a pure refrigerant (azeotropic mixtures), or differently (non-azeotropic, or zeotropic,mixtures).

https://www.achrnews.com/articles/82...o-refrigerants
    That's correct. My bad.

8. Likes Chris4u13 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Part of the answer to this question is: Why are you ecoveringng the charge? When working with refrigerantnt blends if the recovery is to repair a leak then you should start over with new refrigerant as the concentrations of the mixed refrigerants has likely changed and is no longer really R407C or R410a, etc. The Purdue Fractionation documentnt was written in the early days when not too many understood mixed or blended refrigerantsts. When I think back to the 1995 1996 time frame I know many thought the different refrigerants in the blend would leak off in equal percentages. As the Purdue document showed that was not really the case and "topping off" was not a good practicece.

If the reason the charge is being removed to correct a non leak condition you should be able to reuse what you have recovered. Small volumes <5 pounds) my preference is to just replace with new.

10. Likes Chris4u13 liked this post