Found myself a lil toy.

Our former racing partner was a life long sheet metal man, and due to that he had a nice 5' brake we used. Several years ago he retired from work and racing so we've been brakeless. I've always worked at a sheet metal company, so it wasn't terribly hard to bend up my race car bodies, and also lil trinkets for around the shop and vans.

Now that I'm at a service only company, and some how ended up with a lil extra money in my pocket I found myself a nice lil toy.

Chicago, 10' long and 16 or 18 gauge (thinking 18) can't remember at the moment though. Even came with a radius bar and a couple leaf supports.

It's been pretty well taken care of, actually for used it's one of the better I've seen in a long long time.

Since this won't be used daily, we had to devise a way to roll it against the wall when it's not in use.

Made a trek from the west end of SD to middle of IA for it, the guy selling it had 2 for sale (the other was a lighter gauge 8' chicago). As fate would have it, a guy in my home town was interested in that one, so I picked them both up and split the fuel bill.

I must say, I highly doubt I'll ever pull and all nighter like that again.
    Monday was an 8 hr day at work, then got called out at 1130 to 1 and then again at 230 till 330 monday night. Worked a normal day tuesday, took a 2.5 hour nap right after work, woke up around 6pm that evening. Got the trailer hooked up and headed out of town around 11pm tuesday night.

Made it to Ft Dodge at 7am that morning, loaded up, BS'd with the feller's selling them, and headed back. Got back to town around 5, had to go to the vet (my dog got sick while mom was watching him, he's fine now tho). Then unloaded my brake, unloaded my buddy's brake, returned the trailer and spent a couple hours with the girl friend before I turned in around 12am wed night. Figure I was awake for 30 hours straight. From monday morning till wed night when I went to bed I think I had around 7 hours of sleep...

Scariest part, I wasn't really tired at all when I went to bed wed night, sleepy, but no more than usual. Slept a very relaxing 6 hours that night and back to the regular schedule.

Feels good having a brake of my own. Now I just need a 4' box and pan, stomp shear, tubing bender, mill, better welder, tig machine... argh, I need the lotto!
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

our shops looks identical to that one..except ours has more paint on it..and also big weights on the handles...i think ours are shorter also so you don't need so much swing room

Nice find.
    Zach

My project for next winter, or maybe this summer if the racing season goes smooth is to tear it apart, blast and powdercoat/paint it. I have a nice lil vision of some sweet pin stripes on it too.....

This is the 1st brake I've used where you could stick the counterweights out far enough to make it nicely balanced. This one barely requires one hand to run (no metal in there). Some of them needed a strong man just to get it moving.

how much do those counter weights weigh out of curiosity

Ya know, I'm not sure.

I do however know they are heavy! Specially when you carry it across the shop, and try to place it onto that small lil rod.

If I had to guess they probably only weigh in the 40-50 pound neighborhood, but every time I picked them up I swear they got heavier.

I'm not sure what the whole brake weighs, but I'd guess around 2000 lbs.

Nice, Twilli got one too
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

when i started hvac i folded 1000+ houses worth of duct and fittings on an identical 8footer. brings back memories