Thread: New install - Carrier Condenser Units...Not sure which option to go with.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

New install - Carrier Condenser Units...Not sure which option to go with.

I'm not sure how to compare these 2 units or if they are even comparable...I'm green what can I say.

Long story short, got an estimate (several actually). This particular company installs Carrier units. I'm having the furnace and a/c replaced. My house is about 1500sqft, located in a hot dry summer climate and pretty mild winters. The company gave me 2 options for condensers. One is Carrier 24APB636A003 the other (less expensive) is the Carrier 24AAA536A003. They are massaging a recoup of some labor costs in there since they already gave me a discount/price match on the less expensive, so I'm not too worried about the price. I just don't want to buy a known POS.

Thoughts? Thank you
    Last edited by rundawg; 04-20-2022 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Pricing removed

Post Likes
    1500 Sq Ft in a hot dry climate yet there proposing 500 Sq Ft per ton

Find a different contractor!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    1500 Sq Ft in a hot dry climate yet there proposing 500 Sq Ft per ton

Find a different contractor!
    I've had 5 contractors total provide me estimates. All have suggested 16 seer 3 ton units, what am I missing?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kilgore_trout View Post
    I've had 5 contractors total provide me estimates. All have suggested 16 seer 3 ton units, what am I missing?
    there all Probably full of $hit!

Have any done a Manual "J" Load Loss calculation?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    there all Probably full of $hit!

Have any done a Manual "J" Load Loss calculation?
    Hell if I know, I've never heard of that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kilgore_trout View Post
    Tell them to prove your getting a 16 SEER rated system by providing the AHRI number, as you don’t go by the rating of the outdoor unit alone, it’s a team effort of a furnace to indoor coil to outdoor unit.

Check with your state or local utility company for the rebate requirements as at 16 SEER that may be the minimum threshold you need to meet.

Did they mention these system may apply for money in your pocket rebates?

Have them do a comprehensive start up/commissioning report on your new system. Here’s a generic one.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...GtreMqRxxNNbzS

If your not located in California, registration of each piece of equipment is needed as manufacturers warranty decreases if never registered.

Post Likes
    I am in CA if that makes a diff. This is all good info...no mention from anybody regarding rebates.

They are doing a HERS - Title 24 Testing not sure if that is the same as the commissioning report you mentioned.

Post Likes
    Here’s the web-site to check your SEER and EER on any system that’s matched. Enter the number in the space, to view the certificate. Granted these numbers are not real world but you need a AHRI number to submit along with other documents. Research your local electric company. If your having a 80% furnace installed that will not meet the minimum requirements, as typically it’s 95%> but the A/C part probably would.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NYsLpAKdmuwrti

Here’s one source for possible rebates for HVAC systems, thermostats, insulation etc.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...iQc0GVu13UMfK_

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in