Thread: ICE-Con burner setup questions...

Post Likes

ICE-Con burner setup questions...

An En Mar model HTDM mua unit.

I've got this Canadian made gas fired make-up air unit with a modulating burner. The combustion fan motor is speed controlled, along with the main gas valve (2-10vdc) from a version two ICE-con board.
    We replaced the heat exchanger and now the burner rumbles a bit in the middle of the modulation. Apparently version 1.7b of the software can be use to set the 6 steps in the burner operation. Each step burns hotter, air and gas are increased, the fan RPM ramps up too. Each step is tested with a combustion analyser to assure good burning. This is the procedure for fine-tuning the burner.

My question is:
    The software sets up gas and RPM but the fan speed can't be dialed in with the RPM desired, only a factor number like 42.3 and so on is changed. The board then changes that to an RPM.

I started this on Friday and found the process tedious and frustrating, all trial and error.

Anyone out there done this before, with success? on this setup?

D'Laine
    Last edited by D'Laine; 02-14-2009 at 08:54 AM. Reason: update details

Post Likes

A done deal...

A day and a half on a roof with a frozen laptop, frozen fingers, and every mistake you can make, I managed to set up 6 stages of burner operation from Min to Max and then run it past the combustion analyser for the last check. Passed. It can be done, but it's not pretty.

D.

Post Likes
    I feel your pain! Been their, done that, got the shirt!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by D'Laine View Post
    A day and a half on a roof with a frozen laptop, frozen fingers, and every mistake you can make, I managed to set up 6 stages of burner operation from Min to Max and then run it past the combustion analyser for the last check. Passed. It can be done, but it's not pretty.

D.
    Too bad it was so cold.
    Sounds like a good setup to cut your teeth on.
    Havn't seen or heard of that unit.
    The last dc burner setup I did was for a school, got slapped around for a bit but in the end the boiler gave in!
    If you cant fix it right, try again.

Post Likes

These days stick with you...

It's my first time setting up combustion ratios/slopes with a laptop but it's rewarding to be able to to tap an up/down arrow key and watch the O2 levels move too.

I think I'll rig up a block heater (spare Liebert receiver heater) on the bottom of the laptop to keep it from going into 'wait up to 30 minutes so I can warm up state'. Panasonic Toughbooks do that.

D'Laine

Post Likes
    ive got a unit that has this ice-con 2 in it. what software do u need for the laptop to axcess this control? possible to give it to me? any literature for this control would be great.
    I have never been told to or not to, but I know how to do my job and thats what it comes down to!!!

Post Likes

ice con cable and software...

I think I tried 4 or 5 nine-pin cables Mini sub D type and finally found one to work. You'll need a gender bender too.
    There's some software for it with minimal help, but once you get it going, it's a breeze to set the steps of combustion and fan and gas and I had a combustion analyser in the stack to make sure my settings were valid. Trick was to get past a burner rumble at the 2/3 range.

All this sitting on a milk crate at minus 5C outside. Laptop must be plugged in for an hour and on city power to keep it from freezing up.

I'll try to dig up the software and pass it on to you. Not proprietary so don't anyone get their knickers in a knot.

Dave

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in