Normally Open Normal?

Took a look at a job today that one of our market accounts had done on their HVAC. They're using a chiller and multiple fan coil units, is it normal for guys to use normally open valves for the HW and CW lines at the air handler, also for the CW valve to be in the supply and the HW valve to be in the return? Am I nuts or should the CW coil be 2 row and the HW be 1 row, not vice versa? These things aren't working too well and they're looking for a reason...

Not exactly sure what you are describing. Heating is definetly fail safe normally open, full heat so nothing will freeze.

fail safe sure, but the valves themselves are normally open, both of them CW and HW. CW valve is in the CW supply line and the HW valve is in the HW return line (lines to eah fan coil). My main question is about the coil though, should a 2/1 row - 4 pipe be 2 row cooling and 1 row heating?

I guess the next question is are you transferring any load on your fan coils? Chiller temps and fan coil temps ?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

I am seeing more guys go to normally open valves. I like normally closed but it doesn't get cold in Miami. The valves should both be on the return line IMHO. They should have circuit settings to limit GPM's.

In Canada I could see the heating coil being bigger than the cooling coil. Needless to say in my area they are a lot smaller.

Chilled water valves are and should be N/C fail safe, you never want to load the chiller just because you lost your air compressor control or a fan coil or AHU is down. Hot water valves are and should be N/O fail safe for freeze up's. Most of the time I see the control valve on the return side.