Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Likes
    Right AirLabs checks for mold spores (dead or alive) and dust, this is better than checking for the odors mold emits? I assumed the latter would be more sensitive?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel366 View Post
    Right AirLabs checks for mold spores (dead or alive) and dust, this is better than checking for the odors mold emits? I assumed the latter would be more sensitive?
    It's better to check for mold and the spores directly. Most people react to the spores rather than the "farts" they make.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Jtrammel - "I知 going to sell hvac systems derp derp derp"
    BBeerme - "every time he opens his mouth, he reminds me of a cow without the fart bag."

Post Likes
    Home Inspection Montreal has an Infra Red Camera. Great for finding heat/moisture leaks.
    Didn't see that the other company had this feature. Contrary to what I said earlier seems both companies offer detailed VOC testing.

Happy Holidays to All.

Post Likes
    Anyone can buy a thermal camera that plugs into a smartphone. They're very inexpensive. I have one.

http://www.flir.com/flirone/ios-android/#models
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

BBeerme - "every time he opens his mouth, he reminds me of a cow without the fart bag."

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the tips and advice!
    One thing that dawned on me last night was whether or not asbestos should be a concern. Our house is quite old (1900s) and when they shot up the dirt and dust from below the floorboards, wall corners and holes - probably hit a lot of old pipes and activated a lot of dormant particles - some of which I guess may be asbestos? I知 not familiar enough with it - but from late night googling last night I知 really starting to get concerned.
    They finished the work to clean the house last week thursaday friday (its now Tuesday) so a lot of the particles may have settled ( we also have 3 of those sanuvox machines running) - but a lot of our items still have a layer of dust which I guess may be contaminated if indeed there was asbestos.
    Any advice? Would the air quality test still be able to detect it or would I have to do another type of test now?
    Any guidance would be really appreciated. Not how I wanted to spend the holidays

Thanks!

Post Likes
    The only way to test for asbestos in friable form is with a certified testing service. They will take sample and do air tests. A lab will then make a determination of what you have, size, and quantity.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Anyone can buy a thermal camera that plugs into a smartphone. They're very inexpensive. I have one.

http://www.flir.com/flirone/ios-android/#models
    They are very inexpensive, and lack the thermal resolution of the industrial versions by an order of magnitude or more.
    That why all for folks (that I've seen) that offer professional thermal services use them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by randyf View Post
    They are very inexpensive, and lack the thermal resolution of the industrial versions by an order of magnitude or more.
    That why all for folks (that I've seen) that offer professional thermal services use them.
    They're not as poor quality as you think. You need to know what you're looking at and for. I wouldnt use my camera flir to diagnose house leak/infiltration issues. I probably would use it to find a ruptured radiant line.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    They're not as poor quality as you think. You need to know what you're looking at and for. I wouldnt use my camera flir to diagnose house leak/infiltration issues. I probably would use it to find a ruptured radiant line.
    But the context of this thread is to diagnose leaks/infiltration issues so thermal resolution is important. That was not clear from your comment.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by randyf View Post
    But the context of this thread is to diagnose leaks/infiltration issues so thermal resolution is important. That was not clear from your comment.
    The comment was about a home inspection service, which often doesnt have top quality equipment, hence the comment that anyone can buy one. Also, he said they have "infrared" equipment. That doesnt necessarily mean "thermal" but one would hope that's what it is.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567