Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: sadfg

Post Likes
    I'm planning this as I go so I have not worked out all of the details yet however yes, a transfer switch will be installed by my electrician with whom I've already spoken with.

What won't be installed is a standby generator that runs off of propane. There will be no gas piping installed or inspected. I don't where that came from.

Yes I am aware of the safety concerns when hooking up a generator to a house. However, connecting a generator to a house is common and not a major concern of mine at this point. There are plenty of examples out there of the right and wrong way to do it. What isn't common and is a concern is using a portable generator to power a central ac unit, which is what I came to this site for help with. Thanks for everyone's help by the way.

Post Likes
    duplicate post
    Last edited by BigRich3215; 10-02-2017 at 01:05 PM. Reason: duplicate post

Post Likes
    My Harbor Freight generator runs my air conditioner compressor just fine. The hard start kit dropped my starting amps from 40 something to 20 something. Next stop whole house. Merry Christmas to me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRich3215 View Post
    The hard start kit dropped my starting amps from 40 something to 20 something.
    No it didnt. It reduced the time involved for the compressor to start. Amp usage is the same. It's probably too fast for your meter to register now.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Jtrammel - "I’m going to sell hvac systems derp derp derp"
    BBeerme - "every time he opens his mouth, he reminds me of a cow without the fart bag."

Post Likes
    Anyone know how to install an electronic governor on this generator? It can’t keep the rpms constant when the load changes which results in the frequency changing.

Post Likes
    Anyone know how to install an electronic governor on this generator? It can’t keep the rpms constant when the load changes which results in the frequency changing.
    That's normal for all generators. the increased magnetic field makes a bigger rotational resistance and the rpms temporarily drop.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

BBeerme - "every time he opens his mouth, he reminds me of a cow without the fart bag."

Post Likes
    It’s not a temporary problem. I went from 60 hertz to 58 and stayed there.

Post Likes
    It’s not a temporary problem. I went from 60 hertz to 58 and stayed there.
    Could be your load is too high. But 58 is not out of the realm of reason

Post Likes
    It’s not the load and that frequency is an issue for electric motors at the very least.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Post Likes
    At lower hertz the motors run at a slower speed and so the compressor pumps less refrigerant. This reduces motor amps and the generator stays under it's loading limits. You get less cooling but no one notices.

<g>

PHM
    ------

It’s not the load and that frequency is an issue for electric motors at the very least.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    “Alternating - current motors shall operate successfully under running conditions at rated load and at rated voltage with a variation in the frequency up to 5 percent above or below the rated frequency. Performance within this frequency variation will not necessarily be in accordance with the standards established for operation at rated frequency.

A frequency higher than the rated frequency usually improves the power factor but decreases locked-rotor torque and increases the speed and friction and windage loss. At a frequency lower than the rated frequency, the speed is decreased, locked-rotor torque is increased, and power factor is decreased. For certain kinds of motor load, such as in textile mills, close frequency regulation is essential.”

http://www.usmotors.com/TechDocs/Pro...ency-Variation

How do you think this will effect my water pumps?

Post Likes
    My Harbor Freight generator runs my air conditioner compressor just fine. The hard start kit dropped my starting amps from 40 something to 20 something. Next stop whole house. Merry Christmas to me!

“Alternating - current motors shall operate successfully under running conditions at rated load and at rated voltage with a variation in the frequency up to 5 percent above or below the rated frequency. Performance within this frequency variation will not necessarily be in accordance with the standards established for operation at rated frequency.

A frequency higher than the rated frequency usually improves the power factor but decreases locked-rotor torque and increases the speed and friction and windage loss. At a frequency lower than the rated frequency, the speed is decreased, locked-rotor torque is increased, and power factor is decreased. For certain kinds of motor load, such as in textile mills, close frequency regulation is essential.”

http://www.usmotors.com/TechDocs/Pro...ency-Variation

How do you think this will effect my water pumps?
    I thought you had it fixed?

Post Likes
    Well my starting amps aren’t an issue so from that respect I did have that problem fixed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast