Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

apprentice or tech school?

what is better tech school and start with a company or do an apprenticeship for 3 years with no tech school??

Tech School... Pick a good one tho.

i did school and then 10000 hr apprenticeship

Do both..many techs i know did. I attended night class for 4 years.

Most traditional apprenticeships have schooling and an hourly requirement.

i guess the reason I was asking is because one of my buddies went to tech school here in georgia and then started off with a company where he had to ride around with a journeyman for 8 months then they felt he was comfortable enough so he got his own truck.

another friend in cincinnati did not go to tech school but is doing a 5 year apprentice and is in his second year. you get your own van in your 3rd year and until then you ride with other guys. just wondering what was a better option

Getting your own ride all depends on the company u work for and how able u perform. I had a van after my first year..was sent only to do simple services (some places we change filters monthly but do a deeper quarterly inspection) i would ride with my journeyman about two days a week, gave me time to ask questions and learn proper techniques and the science of HVAC. Wile the "filer change" time allowed me to look over an learn about a properly running unit.

Get good, then get fast. If you get fast first, all you'll ever be is fast. Both types of training are important, but you cannot beat education SCHOOL IS A MUST! You have to understand theory and principle so that your practical experience makes sense. It will save you countless hours of scratching your head and stressing out when your on your own.
    OK! I used to work general maintenance. One day I was offered a job learning HVAC. I accepted, and began riding around with the service manager and he showed me lots of stuff. After five weeks of watching cleanings and a few fast repairs, I was suddenly sent out on my own. I expressed concern that I felt I lacked experience, Don't Worry! I was told, If you get stuck on something just give me a call. Finally after a year of misery, I got smart and sent myself to school nights and went to work for a different shop. Now that guy (who had 12 years in when I started), calls to ask me questions.
    On the job training is only as good as the trainer and his ability to teach. Continue your education throughout your career.
    It will be what you make of it.
    Good Luck!

Originally posted by adamste81
    what is better tech school and start with a company or do an apprenticeship for 3 years with no tech school?
    Go with whichever method gives you more individual attention from a journeyman. If you can find a company with journeymen who make a point of being there with you in person on every job site and answering all of your questions at or soon after the moment they are asked, become an apprentice for them. If you can't find an employer like that, go to trade school and do your best to benefit from your instructors.
    Last edited by HVAC Student; 02-14-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Ah'z a gud spelur

Quote Originally Posted by Toolboy View Post
    Get good, then get fast. If you get fast first, all you'll ever be is fast. Both types of training are important, but you cannot beat education SCHOOL IS A MUST! You have to understand theory and principle so that your practical experience makes sense. It will save you countless hours of scratching your head and stressing out when your on your own.
    OK! I used to work general maintenance. One day I was offered a job learning HVAC. I accepted, and began riding around with the service manager and he showed me lots of stuff. After five weeks of watching cleanings and a few fast repairs, I was suddenly sent out on my own. I expressed concern that I felt I lacked experience, Don't Worry! I was told, If you get stuck on something just give me a call. Finally after a year of misery, I got smart and sent myself to school nights and went to work for a different shop. Now that guy (who had 12 years in when I started), calls to ask me questions.
    On the job training is only as good as the trainer and his ability to teach. Continue your education throughout your career.
    It will be what you make of it.
    Good Luck!
    I totally agree with this guy, everything he said seems to make sense especially the part about understanding the theory and principle behind how HVAC works and not just learning how your journeyman does things.

i am a student in hvac school.
    I think begin with a tech school... and absorb everything they teched.
    tech school tech most about the base akonwlage,but there are a must.
    shortcut doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by cmanu View Post
    i am a student in hvac school.
    I think begin with a tech school... and absorb everything they teched.
    tech school tech most about the base akonwlage,but there are a must.
    shortcut doesn't work.
    HUH?

which is good g3/g2 or hvac

i am in ontario can you tell me if i do g3/g2 that is good or if ido hvac that is good and which school in hamilton ontario

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast