Post Likes

what do TXV temperature ranges mean?

If I have a TXV rated for (I am making this up) say; +10 to +50

And I have a like-kind TXV which is rated for say; -10 to -50

Assuming refrigerant and capacity ratings are the same between the two valves - what would the actual difference be?

How are the valves actually different from each other?

What would happen if the two were interchanged with each other?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    I'm guessing the sensing bulb refrigerant, or the springs in side?

This is just a guess, but I suppose a R22 TXV for a walk in cooler is different than a R22 TXV for an A/C unit, even if it were there same tonnage.

Post Likes
    Yes; I'm sure they are different. And the maker notes that they are different when they publish the applications data. But what I am curious about is: Different In What Specific Way?

Can you think of a reason why the sensing bulb refrigerant charge would need to be different for different temperature range TXV's?

Spring pressure might be it - as lower and lower operating temperature would produce lower and lower equalizer line pressure.

Equalizing pressure is a closing-force - so less of it to oppose diaphragm pressure would tend toward the overfeeding of refrigerant through the TXV.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull14218 View Post
    I'm guessing the sensing bulb refrigerant, or the springs in side?

This is just a guess, but I suppose a R22 TXV for a walk in cooler is different than a R22 TXV for an A/C unit, even if it were there same tonnage.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    If I have a TXV rated for (I am making this up) say; +10 to +50

And I have a like-kind TXV which is rated for say; -10 to -50

Assuming refrigerant and capacity ratings are the same between the two valves - what would the actual difference be?

How are the valves actually different from each other?

What would happen if the two were interchanged with each other?
    Typically, the +10 F to +50 F would use a C charge in the element and the -10 F to -50 F would use a Z charge in the element.
    The valves are the same except for the charge in the element.
    If the valve with the Z charge is applied in the +10 F to +50 F application, then the valve will operate at a high superheat. Same for the C charge applied in the -10 F to -50 F application.
    Bulletin 10-9 with an explanation of TEV Operation can provide more detail. http://sporlanonline.com/literature/10/10-9.pdf

5. Likes CHAINIK, icemeister liked this post