Thread: flexible gas line

Post Likes

Hmm flexible gas line

I got a new furnace (forced air by natural gas), and it has a flexible gas line temporarily. With the old furnace, it was all pipe. For the new furnace, the line was cut off and about 1.5' of the flexible line was put in. The furnace guy told me I should get piping. Ok, fine. So the plumber called and he wants $ to add 18" of pipe. To me, this seems like a lot of money. Can someone let me know if this is in the correct pricing "neighborhood" or not?

Thank you,

Susan
    Last edited by Special-K; 02-22-2024 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Remove Pricing

Post Likes
    Pricing's not allowed.

Post Likes
    Oh darn. I feel like, as a woman, I get maybe taken advantage of occasionally because I don't know a darn thing about this (I won't bother with my auto repair story other than one guy told me it was **** to fix my Bug and I went to another shop, and they fixed it for under ****. That was 5 years ago, and it's been running like a champ since).

Shoot, oh well, such is life. I get that business owners can set pricing that's against the law, but I thought someone may be able to say if I should shop around.

Thanks,

Susan

Removed pricing.
    Last edited by rundawg; 02-22-2024 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Removed pricing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by suecapecod View Post
    Oh darn. I feel like, as a woman, I get maybe taken advantage of occasionally because I don't know a darn thing about this (I won't bother with my auto repair story other than one guy told me it was $3800 to fix my Bug and I went to another shop, and they fixed it for under $900. That was 5 years ago, and it's been running like a champ since).

Shoot, oh well, such is life. I get that business owners can set pricing that's against the law, but I thought someone may be able to say if I should shop around.

Thanks,

Susan
    Nothing is against the law when setting prices. It is what the market will accept.

That price does seem out of line by itself, but what does it include and what are others charging(no pricing allowed).

why didn't the person who installed the furnace do it?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Get a second opinion.
    I would recommend finding a smaller company.

I'd assume you typed into google and called the first company that came up? Those guys generally speaking are someone pricy. Someone has to pay for the google ads.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Pricing is not allowed per site rules.

7. Likes vin lashon liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Got it. I won't do it again!

Post Likes
    You need to find a reliable service provider. Easier said than done. Once found hold on to them tight & tip well.

Post Likes
    Oh see this was very helpful, I didn't know I should tip, but I'm happy to. Thanks!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post

why didn't the person who installed the furnace do it?
    This ☝🏻
    Who pays for a new furnace and then has to hire other contractors to finish it up ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    This ☝🏻
    Who pays for a new furnace and then has to hire other contractors to finish it up ?
    A sales company!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    This ☝��
    ^^^ This. I could see it if they do not have a license to work on gas lines but if that was the case then they also couldn't disconnect the old or connect the flex could they.

Why do I get the feeling you already paid them for the furnace install?
    Yesterday, I went to bed excited about tomorrow, but when I awoke, it was only today.

Post Likes
    Check code for your area. Here, 18" of flex line is allowed, as long as it isn't run into the furnace cabinet. It's the standard method here. IOW, there should be pipe stubbing out of the furnace to connect the flex line to.

If yours complies to local code, no reason to change it.

Post Likes
    Make another post and get your post count at 7, and you can post pictures.
    Id like to see how the unit was installed.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in