Thread: Lennox EL296UHV

Post Likes

Lennox EL296UHV

Hello
    I had a new Lennox Gas furnace installed and have some questions. After checking over the install I had questions for the contractor.
    It's a Lennox EL296UHV, it was installed in the horizontal application. My first concern was he used the old return air duct which is 20 by 20. The furnace is made for a 16 by 25.
    He made no transition so the filter lays right against the furnace and gives me an effective filter area of 16" by 18". That's signicantly smaller.
    After flipping through the install manual it clearly states in the horizontal position the return air must only be brought in through the end. They installed through the side.
    The owner of the company came by and said the install was fine. Of course.
    Will this affect anything?
    Thanks

Post Likes
    how many btu is the furnace?

if the install book says it's wrong, it *might* void your warranty. I'd make him correct it per the book.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    Sounds like this installer slipped through "Dave's Quality Dealer Standards".

That was a Lennox ad campaign in the 70s.

4. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    how did they bring it in on the side? Laying horizontally, you effectively have a BASE of the furnace, a "TOP", a "BOTTOM", and the "REAR".
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    The furnace is hung from the floor joist. The return comes straight down into the top of the furnace and exits in an up flow configuration.
    Manual states " return air may be brought in only through the end of a furnace installed in the horizontal position. The furnace is equipped with a removable bottom panel to facilitate installation".
    They cut a hole in the side of the furnace like you would in a vertical install.

Post Likes
    90,000btu

Post Likes
    16x18 would be big enough for your btu

BUT

The air flow across the exchanger is not even. The return needs to be changed to the base.

If the contractor keeps giving you poo you always have the option of calling Lennox to talk to a rep. They often come onsite and evaluate problem installs.

Post Likes
    Thanks Marc
    So common sense tells me without even airflow across the exchanger I could have a hot spot and shorten the life and decrease the performance of my new furnace.

Post Likes
    It's more a unbalanced issue with the blower motors. They want equal air flow to both sides of the wheel.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PentictonBC View Post
    Thanks Marc
    So common sense tells me without even airflow across the exchanger I could have a hot spot and shorten the life and decrease the performance of my new furnace.
    yes