Post Likes

Drain issues associated with duct sealing or cleanings

Has anybody come across issues with drains plugging up after a duct cleaning or a duct sealing application? We have had several installs where a month or so after the new installation the drains have become plugged with a slime like muck. The units were not run during construction and the houses are all very clean, its not every unit in the house either. Im doing a bunch of research on this and have not found any complaints but all of these installs had an aerosol type sealing applied to the inside of the ducts and I cant help but wonder if this is a residue left in the system making its way back to the wet coil and eventually plugging up our drains.

Post Likes
    Maybe little or no slope to those drain lines?
    I don't understand happiness as an ambition . . . It's not really worthy. I understand it as a byproduct.

Harrison Ford

Post Likes
    No, the drains are mint, as well as the pans and the units

Post Likes
    Mint means new.

Slime occurs with standing water.
    I don't understand happiness as an ambition . . . It's not really worthy. I understand it as a byproduct.

Harrison Ford

Post Likes
    Mint as in the installation / pitch, I call it slime it got the consistency of hair gel.

Post Likes
    How can slime form if there is no standing water?

Harrison Ford

Post Likes
    From my original post! (if this is a residue left in the system making its way back to the wet coil and eventually plugging up our drains.)

Post Likes
    Maybe you can find out who makes the stuff. If it's coming loose or there is some that didn't stick might mix with condensate and form something. The manufacturer might not be forthcoming about any questions but as these systems have this problem in common your probably right in making a connection. There can be differences in products and applications. All I've ever used is pookie and no nothing about the newer aerosols.
    With duct cleaning the contents of the duct is disturbed and airborne. Whatever isn't sucked out is still loose. A company that did duct cleaning ran the air flow backwards while blowing air down the supplies. I don't remember problems like what you describe but maybe no connection was made.
    I should have played the g'tar on the MTV. MK

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    I know the brand and have the MSD sheet, I just sent it to the lab with the sample of the muck, I didn't want to mention the Brand as I do not know if it the problem or not, but was looking to see if anyone else came across this issue before.

Post Likes
    Very unlikely the problem is from a duct sealant.

Harrison Ford