Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Not Just For Technician's

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

There is only ONE way to lead, and that is by example. By setting the bar high and making that example one worth following we can breed a better next generation of technicians. That should be EVERY technician's goal.
    This should be the goal of everybody. For sure ever parent.

a title is a JUST a title. just because the owner of the company or my BOSS is entitle such, doesn't mean he knows everything or has worked on every piece of equipment.
    it would be good practice not to disrespect ANYONE. plus that quiet, antisocial shop-cleaner-guy may take you off his 'people to kill' list or give you some hockey tickets right?
    when life throws me a banjo, i play it

Confused similar situation

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixit246 View Post
    I have similar experiences. If you think it is wrong for him to do it and feel comfortable enough have a Journeyman to Journeyman talk with him. It doesn't have to be condescending just inform him that it wasn't cool for him to do that to the guys trying to do their jobs right.

I myself got into the face of a master when I was a 3 year apprentice. He wanted to leave an unsafe condition and I was polite but insistent that it not be left. I won the argument and i think he gained some respect for me in the process.

MrFixit
    i also was a 3rd yr apprentice when i was working with an old timer tearing down an old b&g chiller for an ice rink. while he was doing something else my job was to remove the head bolts . Well i was taught by others to leave 2 bolts in backed out partially just in case of press. buildup for oil inna crankcase. when he came in to check on me he reamed me a new one for not removing all the bolts like he said and told me whoever taught me that was an idiot. I tapped the head to free it and it blew off like it was shot out of a cannon right near where he was standing. i could have made a million bucks for a pic of the look on his face , staring at my 2 bolts holding the head from killing someone. even then i was a really laid back guy , never said a word to him. Seems he only pumped the crankcase down once never checking for a buildup from the oil. He came back a 1/2 hr later , shook my hand and apologized for yelling at me and told me he learned from an apprentice today and bought lunch.........Jack

Had a similar thing happen to me. In the early 70's is was reassigned to an Air Force base in Michigan. The civilians in the shop had a little bit of a superior attitude. A civilian and I had a call at one of the B52 hangers. The overhead air handler was out. We get to the hanger, go inside, climb the vertical ladder to the steel joists and crawl across the ceiling to the air handler. When we get there, the civilian asks me for one of his tools. I told him I didn't have it. He wanted to know where his tool bag was. Apparently, he was under the impression I was his bag biatch. I told him I guess your bag is back in the shop where you left it. I told him in the future he could carry his bag and I would carry mine. He wanted to make an issue out of it but i told the Supervisor and Superintendent I wasn't paid or trained to carry his tools. The other enlisted told me that's the way it was. I told them if they wanted to continue carrying tools for others, go ahead. Just I wasn't. Needless to say, the word got out and suddenly everyone carried their own from then on. Him and I became friends and laughed about it later. Just set your ground rules going in.

ever have a apprentice leave a can of purple primer on the floor? Then for you to walk by and kick it across the room! Argghhhh!

IM A STUDENT WITH A RECENT APPRENTICE LICENCE.. I LIVE IN CECIL MARYLAND AND LOOKING TO BE HIRED SOMEDAY... MY LIFE EXPERIENCES ENABLE ME TO AT LEAST ACT LIKE I KNOW WHAT IM DOIN BUT I SUPPORT AND RESPECT SOMEONE WHO HAS A HIGHER LEVEL OF EDUCATION.. IM THANKFUL TO BE A PART OF THIS COMMUNITY AS FOR ONE DAY I MAY HAVE VET STORIES TO TELL...I ALSO HAVE MY CDL LICENCE IF THAT HELPS AT ALL IN THE TRADE...

Quote Originally Posted by hvochead View Post
    ever have a apprentice leave a can of purple primer on the floor? Then for you to walk by and kick it across the room! Argghhhh!
    AW, H**L. I STILL do that.

forget the apprentice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if the journeyman does sloppy work he is a hack!

fire him asap
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post

fire him asap
    With this particular journeyman, there have been times...

I just don't have the authority. In the grand scheme of things, I'm only a little bit bigger fish than he is.

I'm just working my way up the food chain.

fire him asap
    does it have to be a constant fight to get somewhere or being an a hole naturally part of being a journeyman...?

Quote Originally Posted by ncar32 View Post
    does it have to be a constant fight to get somewhere or being an a hole naturally part of being a journeyman...?
    Are you referring to your attempt to hijack this thread?

Yes, we journeymen can be difficult. I am often proud of the fact that I am an a$$hole.

We have worked long and hard to PROVE our status in the world.

If you want answers to your questions, I would suggest starting your own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ncar32 View Post
    all I know is?
    it is obvious from the post that we are referring to a chiller mechanic.
    if you are doing less than perfect work ?
    there are plenty of guys willing to take your job.
    at our labor rates, you had better be trained hard working and professional.

by the way
    i love the rses cm avatar
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

all I know is?
    it is obvious from the post that we are referring to a chiller mechanic.
    if you are doing less than perfect work ?
    there are plenty of guys willing to take your job.
    at our labor rates, you had better be trained hard working and professional.

by the way
    i love the rses cm avatar
    Specifically, we do rack work.

And the avatar, Hey, I earned it, why not show it??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast