Post Likes

Help me old timers!

Long timer lurker here....

So I was given a vacuum pump. Free. I have no idea what the CFM... or age of it is. It's a huge heavy beast though. Any of you guys been around for a while have any ideas? Would it be worth keeping or should I try to sell it and buy something more manageable?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I sure wouldn't wanna lug that thing up on a roof...or even fight my way around it in the truck.

In any case, you better get that thing off momma's kitchen counter before she gets home.
    "...and pray it works, pray to God it works."

---Nick's Handyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSFmAznl_2o

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    I sure wouldn't wanna lug that thing up on a roof...or even fight my way around it in the truck.

In any case, you better get that thing off momma's kitchen counter before she gets home.
    My mommas counter... lol no that's my wife's counter. It's heavy for sure. Not sure I'll use it myself. But trying to find out what I can about it.

The company listed on it is no longer at the number or address.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPapaSmurf View Post
    My mommas counter... lol no that's my wife's counter. It's heavy for sure. Not sure I'll use it myself. But trying to find out what I can about it.

Momma means wife, it's St. Louis inbred slang. You'll have to forgive hurtin.

Do you have a micron gauge or even just a manifold set? Plug it in and see if she'll suck!

5. Likes zamoramax liked this post
    Post Likes

I believe dayton motors is a grainger name right? Their own private label of motors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    I require absolutely no absolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DozMkLQQ-SU
    "...and pray it works, pray to God it works."

---Nick's Handyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSFmAznl_2o

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post

Do you have a micron gauge or even just a manifold set? Plug it in and see if she'll suck!
    Lol inbred slang..

Yes I have a gauge set. It pulls a vacuum. I know the fitting on the pump is incorrect, but I valve it off at the hose to hold the vacuum. It pulled down below 20" in aḅut 10 secs. Brought it to work this evening to try it on a real system. I work at a resort in the central plant.

Post Likes
    Lol inbred slang..

Yes I have a gauge set. It pulls a vacuum. I know the fitting on the pump is incorrect, but I valve it off at the hose to hold the vacuum. It pulled down below 20" in aḅut 10 secs. Brought it to work this evening to try it on a real system. I work at a resort in the central plant.

Personally I'd get something lighter but if it works and you don't mind then a pump is a pump.

10. Likes zamoramax liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    I believe dayton motors is a grainger name right? Their own private label of motors?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably a replacement motor. We have a couple of old Alcatels at the shop gathering dust, but I don't remember the motor make. I'm pretty sure they're not Dayton, though. Those pumps are industrial type vacuum pumps. I think they are designed with a 100% duty cycle in mind. We used to use them for refrigeration, but I was told they are used in applications like laboratory use and process manufacturing. That's probably why they are so heavy, they're not meant for rooftop work.

I have no clue, but from poking around on the web, I bet these guys could tell you more...
    http://www.capvac.com

12. Likes BigPapaSmurf liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAINIK View Post
    Probably a replacement motor. We have a couple of old Alcatels at the shop gathering dust, but I don't remember the motor make. I'm pretty sure they're not Dayton, though. Those pumps are industrial type vacuum pumps. I think they are designed with a 100% duty cycle in mind. We used to use them for refrigeration, but I was told they are used in applications like laboratory use and process manufacturing. That's probably why they are so heavy, they're not meant for rooftop work.

I have no clue, but from poking around on the web, I bet these guys could tell you more...
    http://www.capvac.com
    Thanks. I'll check that out. I wasn't gonna lug it onto roof tops. If anything is use it for ground level condensers.

Post Likes
    Well they set me up with all kinds of info. So thanks CHAINIK.