Post Likes

Packaged vs. split system

Which would be better for large offices?

Post Likes
    Most office buildings that I go to have multiple water source heat pumps shoved into the ceiling, being fed from a core loop system that maintains core loop temperature with boilers and a cooling tower.

If it's a small one or two story building that changes things, and then I would say go with rooftop units (packaged system).

Is this "large" office area that you speak of closer in size to the Empire State building, or a Walgreens store?
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

3. Likes wajahat408 liked this post
    Post Likes
    More information, please: existing building or new construction? size in a less vague description than large? drop ceilings or fixed gyp?
    There are advantages (and disadvantages) to both setups. Package units on the roof are great for large open areas like Walmart or the box stores, and they are easy to access for repair and replacement. They don't work so well for two story office packs with no room to run new duct, and they are problematic in an office building with multiple temperature demands.
    Split systems are generally more efficient, and the duct can be run in the ceiling/attic with the air handler, but linesets are necessary. Splits are better suited to multiple suites with varying temperature demands, but working above a drop ceiling during office hours is inconvenient and disruptive to tenants.

5. Likes wajahat408 liked this post
    Post Likes
    With respect to indoor air quality, that question is in the same bin as "Did you walk to school or bag your lunch?" and whoever answers you likely preaches on Sundays.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    Most office buildings that I go to have multiple water source heat pumps shoved into the ceiling, being fed from a core loop system that maintains core loop temperature with boilers and a cooling tower.

If it's a small one or two story building that changes things, and then I would say go with rooftop units (packaged system).

Is this "large" office area that you speak of closer in size to the Empire State building, or a Walgreens store?
    Hello Ammoniadog!
    Thanks a lot for the reply. Well you can understand the size of my office by comparing it to the Walgreens store. But it is a bit smaller than that. Well, as per your answer I find that Packaged system would work fine there.
    Thanks a lot again for replying and helping me out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rmdingler View Post
    More information, please: existing building or new construction? size in a less vague description than large? drop ceilings or fixed gyp?
    There are advantages (and disadvantages) to both setups. Package units on the roof are great for large open areas like Walmart or the box stores, and they are easy to access for repair and replacement. They don't work so well for two story office packs with no room to run new duct, and they are problematic in an office building with multiple temperature demands.
    Split systems are generally more efficient, and the duct can be run in the ceiling/attic with the air handler, but linesets are necessary. Splits are better suited to multiple suites with varying temperature demands, but working above a drop ceiling during office hours is inconvenient and disruptive to tenants.
    Hello, Rmdingler!
    Here is an answer to each of your questions.
    I have an existing building. It was constructed 3 years ago. Size is a bit smaller than the Walgreens store. We have a dropped ceilings.
    Thanks a lot for your advice. Will keep in mind before taking any decision regarding it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by throrope View Post
    With respect to indoor air quality, that question is in the same bin as "Did you walk to school or bag your lunch?" and whoever answers you likely preaches on Sundays.
    Hello, Throrope!
    I 'm not getting what you are trying to ask. Kindly make it clear so that we can answer it correctly.