Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane duct

Post Likes
    Like it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Nice work. This just confirms, that I need to go ahead and get formal training, in sheetmetal ductwork modifications.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wreakingHaVAC View Post
    Nice work. This just confirms, that I need to go ahead and get formal training, in sheetmetal ductwork modifications.
    Unfortunately you likely won't work anywhere that allows you to hand make a fitting like that anymore.

No formal training here, just lots of practice and trial and error. On the company and on my own time/dime.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj001 View Post
    wish I could do stuff like that
    Anyone can do it, it's just a matter of time and practice. Well maybe not anyone but anyone with at least half a brain.

It's a shame I covered it up with mastic and insulation today and buried it then in the morning it'll be covered behind drywall not to be seen again for a long long time.

5. Likes Ga-HVAC-tech, BBeerme liked this post
    Post Likes
    That is kick a$$! I would have taken a sharpie and signed it and included my cell phone number. In 40yrs when someone sees it they will say "what's with 7 numbers, we use 12 numbers now"

'The more you know, the more you realize you don't know'

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    That is kick a$$! I would have taken a sharpie and signed it and included my cell phone number. In 40yrs when someone sees it they will say "what's with 7 numbers, we use 12 numbers now"

'The more you know, the more you realize you don't know'
    Thanks

I did autograph it but it's not legible, in mastic no less.

8. Likes Ga-HVAC-tech liked this post
    Post Likes
    Like a hi tech exhaust on the turbo service van. I am having trouble picking the spot to inject the dry air from my dehumidifier? No to worry, I'll find a spot.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Very nice. I love making fittings and love to look at old duct systems where everything up to the boot was square duct. Seeing this kind of fitting is a real joy.

So as one tinner to another how did you do it? Normally the side facing the camera would have 1/4 edges and the narrow sides would have Pittsburghs but you can't run a curve through a Pittsburgh machine so how did you get the curve in the middle?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    Very nice. I love making fittings and love to look at old duct systems where everything up to the boot was square duct. Seeing this kind of fitting is a real joy.

So as one tinner to another how did you do it? Normally the side facing the camera would have 1/4 edges and the narrow sides would have Pittsburghs but you can't run a curve through a Pittsburgh machine so how did you get the curve in the middle?
    The 4x10 drop ell in the middle is a separate piece. The pants pieces are 1/4" and the 6" sidewalls are Pittsburgh. The drop ell is Pittsburgh heel and throat and 1/4 bend on the sidewall

Mind you, my bead roller is broken so all the radius 1/4s are notched every 1/2" and bent individually with lineman pliers 😲

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    The 4x10 drop ell in the middle is a separate piece. The pants pieces are 1/4" and the 6" sidewalls are Pittsburgh. The drop ell is Pittsburgh heel and throat and 1/4 bend on the sidewall

Mind you, my bead roller is broken so all the radius 1/4s are notched every 1/2" and bent individually with lineman pliers ��
    The one photo it looks like a seperate piece but then another photos looked like the side was one solid piece. You need to spend some of your moldy money on a new roller. I have seen them for the top of the Pittsburgh but never used one, mine is still a hand crank.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    The one photo it looks like a seperate piece but then another photos looked like the side was one solid piece. You need to spend some of your moldy money on a new roller. I have seen them for the top of the Pittsburgh but never used one, mine is still a hand crank.
    Mine is handcrank pexto but some ding dong broke the bottom roller

Post Likes
    Mine is handcrank pexto but some ding dong broke the bottom roller
    You should be able to get a new roller or did he break the mechanism. I have a box of different rollers for mine the only problem is not all of them have a mate.

Post Likes
    Anyone can do it, it's just a matter of time and practice. Well maybe not anyone but anyone with at least half a brain.

It's a shame I covered it up with mastic and insulation today and buried it then in the morning it'll be covered behind drywall not to be seen again for a long long time.
    ,,,, and there's the rub
    if corny was a part on a washing machine,,, he'd be the agitator

“Those who CAST the votes decide nothing; those who COUNT the votes decide everything.” – Stalin even evil men say things worth paying attention to

A Nation of Sheep - Breeds a Government of Wolves

Gangster Al Capone once remarked that anyone who can walk to the welfare office can walk to work.

16. Likes BBeerme liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast