Post Likes

Which JB vacuum pump?

HI Guys,

Non pro here: I'm going to install a 2 ton mini split in my house shortly, and need to buy a vacuum pump. In the past I've loaned one for the once a decade car drier or hose replacement but it's about time I purchased one as I see a couple jobs coming up in the next year. Usage will be light obviously, but I would rather buy a late model JB than a chicom Robinair or a Harbor Fright.
    I have a line on two JB Platinums, ones a 6cfm with the latest style and graphics, the other is the latest dv200n model 7cfm.
    I'm not sure when the platinum went from 6cfm to 7cfm so I can't date the 6cfm model - anyone? Both look very nice condition from the one picture.
    The 6cfm is $175 and the 7cfm is $200. I can't justify buying new for the amount of usage it'll get but I can justify buying good vs buying new junk. The only testing I'll be able to do is to check them out with my manifold gauge which obviously is not a great test at all (don't yet own a digital vacuum gauge)
    Which of them -if any - would you buy?

thanks!

Post Likes
    Id go with the smaller. Im a pro, and use a 5 cfm JB Platinum for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Aha, that's why I couldn't find a platinum 6cfm, turns out it's an eliminator. So it's a 6cfm eliminator for $175 or a 7cfm platinum for $200. Both a bit overkill for a 2 ton installation, but is it possible to have too much cfm?

Post Likes
    In that case go for the Platinum, its a better pump.

Post Likes
    Unfortunately, that particular Platinum sold.

Is there any major differences between the older fastvac dv-200n and the latest Platinum dv-200n? I see the drain and fill plugs have moved, the handle/exh has moved forward a bit and fancy new graphics, but anything important changed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kenc295 View Post
    Unfortunately, that particular Platinum sold.

Is there any major differences between the older fastvac dv-200n and the latest Platinum dv-200n? I see the drain and fill plugs have moved, the handle/exh has moved forward a bit and fancy new graphics, but anything important changed?
    Repair part availability