Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Had a interview with local 392 today

I walked in the room and we all introduced ourselves. I took a seat after being instructed.

First question they asked me was why do I want to do this work? I replied, "It's in my heart and detailed in my resume are the steps I have taken to position myself here at this time".

Second question they asked was Do I currently work in the field and what do I do? I replied, " Yes I currently do work in this trade and I work for XYZ Heating and Cooling. I troubleshoot,repair, and pm on a daily basis. But I work on the small stuff right now. My goal is to move to the big stuff and continue growing as a tech".

Third question was what are my strengths? I replied, that I'm a quick learner and I'm very adaptive to my surroundings. Now with me saying this was want to add that I put in the work outside of work by reading books and the internet so that when I get to work I can be a great tech".

Lastly they asked if I had any questions? I asked them what is expected of myself as an apprentice on a daily basis? They replied, to walk onto the site and tell folks to get out my way and start fixing things. We all laughed .

Then there was a awkward silence for about 45 seconds and then they said thank you and you'll hear something in two weeks.

It was the most non personal and awkward interview I've ever had. I have no idea how I did because all they did was take notes and read my file .

What do you guys think about the entire exchange?

I interviewed back in December with a different local, and the exchange was similar. It was a small room with a big oval table. The head of the JATC was asking the questions, but there were six other older guys writing something. It lasted no more than five minutes and seemed a bit awkward.

They also asked me what my favorite classes were in HS as well as extracurricular activities. When I left, I thought it went well but I didn't get in. I was disappointed until I found out that they only accepted 15 guys, and seven of them were Helmets to Hardhats. I didn't really have a chance since over a thousand people applied. Although, I could have done a bit better on the test (got an 88%).

It really just goes by your total score (interview + test + work experience/eduction).

I start trade school next week. I will be reapplying in April, and again in September if I don't get in next time. If I don't get in by the 3rd try, screw it. I don't need a union to learn this trade. I can pay for my education and get a job myself.

I remember all the BS and politics my father went through with IBEW for over 20 years. I was hoping UA would be a little different, but who knows?

if they took 8 out a thousand (that were not military) they'll probably take the cream of the crop.

Just got my letter today in the mail and it said that I'm #5 on the list.

This sounds great but I really don't know how good that is.

Do I stand a chance of getting selected?

Thumbs up

that sounds promising, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by tinner73 View Post
    that sounds promising, good luck.

Thank you bro!

I took the Sheet Metal test today also.

My interview for that isn't until April.

I really hope Local 392 comes through for me man. I need a break.

#5 is pretty good! Depending on how much work is in the area it should take that long at all. Good luck!!!

Chicago is an indian word for stinky!!!!!!
    -supertek65

If your number 5 your probably in. Normal classes run between 10 and 15 people. My class started with 15 and only 4 finished. People did not show up , left etc. Had to combine with another class in the end.
    Hope you get in
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by JDJ View Post
    Just got my letter today in the mail and it said that I'm #5 on the list.

This sounds great but I really don't know how good that is.

Do I stand a chance of getting selected?
    The one thing you don't know is how many connected people will jump the list ahead of you.

You are kidding yourself if you don't believe that won't happen.

I am on a list, was number 80... one year later, I am at 75. More than 5 people have cycled through the program.

Best of luck, and have a Plan B.

your negative comments are getting real old.

is this the right place for this?? this kid is excited about scoring high on the list..and rightfully so. he will be fine as long as he doesn't develop an attitude like yours.

with your attitude i can't understand why you would be passed over for work. when was the last time you posted something....anything positive. think about it.

go start a negative thread all your own and keep that $hit out of others.

It isn't negative, it is reality. Sometimes, reality sucks.

I was excited to be on the list, and was hoping to be closer to the top by this point in time. I should have been, if the list and process was pure.

I am still on the list, and there are many more people after me. Just gives me more time to brush up on some skills should I decide to follow through if the time comes.

you obviously don't get it...this may be hard for someone like you to understand but this thread isn't about you....be happy for the kid.

you don't have to rain on everyone's parade...do you?
    he's excited as he should be. leave it at that.

try to contribute something positive for a change....you may feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by neophytes serendipity View Post
    The one thing you don't know is how many connected people will jump the list ahead of you.

You are kidding yourself if you don't believe that won't happen.

I am on a list, was number 80... one year later, I am at 75. More than 5 people have cycled through the program.

Best of luck, and have a Plan B.

Being a specific number doesn't mean anything really. A new group of people may have tested and skewed the whole list.

And being number 80 or 75... you're kidding yourself if you think you actually had a chance. Contractors usually call and ask for TOP apprentices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast