Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    My fist month at Mcquay spent doing a condenser clean up, installing a suction filter,a drier she'll between the condenser and subcooler. A few years before the C vintage came out or the CEK kits. In classic Mcquay fashion it was in the middle of no where.

Post Likes
    I did a Bitzer conversion last year, works great , nice and quiet.
    Federal Reserve, stealing your kids futures since 1913

UA290

Post Likes
    Sorry, not Bitzer, Hanbell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

UA290

Post Likes
    Summerhelp: a month on a cleanup? Geez, I was hoping to pull bottom manifold, r11 flush(multiple times), install shell between condenser and subcooler, r11flush rest of system, install suction drier, replace compressor with bitzer, and change out cleanup cores till clean. I understand it may take a month or 2 of changing cores, but am I missing something on mcquay procedures? They won't give me any assistance, haven't taken their classes...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The clean up also involves of removing all the 180 degrees fittings on all the tubes and clean each tube. the gate material in small pieces gets hung up in the tubes. then all new ubends gets brazed in place. the big pieces will be in the headers. I never took a month but it is time consuming.

Post Likes
    Freon Rick,
    Ouch... I'll be there next week to pull the rotor inspection plates. Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to add endloop removal to the cleanup price if chunks are missing. Hope we caught it in time... There's quite a few endloops in each circuit. Might make more sense to replace the coils at that point.

7. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post
    Post Likes
    Acjourneyman,
    Looks nice, fits good. How difficult were the controls? Or were you able to tie it into the mcq. System?

Post Likes
    Through inspection , any idea what might have caused failure ? Catastrophic failures are tough to determine ; I am aware .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CHILLERSVCMAN View Post
    any idea what might have caused failure ? .
    That type failure was common to that model, they all died the same way, my guess would be poor compressor design from the factory.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

11. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post
    Post Likes
    they started out with oil that broke down in the heat, poor oil. the gates in the beginning did not give any so they added spring like washers in them so they could handle liquid better along with soft starts. The C vintage machines were a whole lot more reliable. problem with adding CEK kits coils were not normally cleaned up. compressors more than likely has some damage.

Post Likes
    I was sent to do it in my first month, it didn't take a month

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Baitshopbilly View Post
    Acjourneyman,
    Looks nice, fits good. How difficult were the controls? Or were you able to tie it into the mcq. System?

Controls was easy, just a new exv driver board and minor wiring.

UA290

Post Likes
    I know this has already been said a few times, but....

Just doing some quick math, this is going to cost at least half of what a new 140 ton air cooled would cost your customer. And..he would get some warranty with the new one.

We all like to fix stuff, but sometimes, even fixed it is still a 20 year old boat anchor.

If you have to tear into this thing, I wish you the best of luck. Please keep us posted if you do. You will definitely eat up some man hours and consumables.

16. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN, freeworldout liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12