Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Repurposing Squirrel Cages.

I recently acquired a 230 volt,1/3 hp cage from wherever, wired it up on a cord, plugged it in to the outlet in the garage, yeah, nice, whatever, been there, done that.

After a 100+ degree day here in the Sunshine State, I came home to my 15' Wal-Mart pool to cool off, and sip on a cold beverage and cool off.

Once done, I get out, soaking wet, go into the garage where the blower is running, and it just happened: A full body, freaking air drier!

That little bastard was blowing hurricane force! I was dry within minutes. I tried posting pics, I think the mods took em down, so whatever.

I'm thinking about doing some sheet metal work to make it funnel air stronger, so it will really blast the junk.

Post Likes
    Oh yeah, and it has the heaters inside the wheel housing, so it will be able to blow warm air if need be.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joejax View Post
    Oh yeah, and it has the heaters inside the wheel housing, so it will be able to blow warm air if need be.
    Blower was probably out of an old Rheem/Ruud AH...

I had one of those for a 'shop heater' for years... finally gave it away.

The last time I was at a Rheem shop... they still have the elements for those...
    Ga-HVAC-tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Beware the Dunning-Kruger effect

4. Likes joejax liked this post
    Post Likes
    oh man, do you have a sheet metal shop? build a few car wash type nozzles like this here:

then just stand on a lazy susan and go for a low RPM spin.

6. Likes joejax, Ga-HVAC-tech, davidj001, captube liked this post
    Post Likes
    I'm lovin it!

Post Likes
    I set one up for my dad when he needs air to cool off and keep the mosquitoes and blackflies away. Only way you can get outside work done without applying carcinogenic amounts of bugspray on your skin. He labeled it "Airforce One" 😎

9. Likes joejax liked this post
    Post Likes
    black flys?

are those canadian equivalents of "horse flys"? the ones the bite the living crap out of you and leave welts?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by queequeg152 View Post
    black flys?

are those canadian equivalents of "horse flys"? the ones the bite the living crap out of you and leave welts?
    No, they are about 1/8" long, more vicious and 50% Mouth. You normally don't feel them bite. You notice you've been bitten by the blood that leaks out. Then you will feel the welt when you touch the bite. Swarms of blackflies chase herds of thousands of Caribou for many miles driving them crazy.

They say that if you get lost in the bush and have access to water, you will probably lose your mind from the onslaught of these before you starve to death.
    If these things were the size of Starlings, they'd pretty much be alone above the water...

12. Likes queequeg152, BennyD, joejax liked this post
    Post Likes
    permethrin man... truck loads of permethrin.

nuke the whole country with permethrin lol.

14. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by queequeg152 View Post
    permethrin man... truck loads of permethrin.

nuke the whole country with permethrin lol.
    You buy it, I'll spray it!

16. Likes queequeg152 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkahuna View Post
    No, they are about 1/8" long, more vicious and 50% Mouth. You normally don't feel them bite. You notice you've been bitten by the blood that leaks out. Then you will feel the welt when you touch the bite. Swarms of blackflies chase herds of thousands of Caribou for many miles driving them crazy.

They say that if you get lost in the bush and have access to water, you will probably lose your mind from the onslaught of these before you starve to death.
    If these things were the size of Starlings, they'd pretty much be alone above the water...
    We've got them in NY as well. Nasty buggers! Normal bug repellent doesn't seem to work. They WILL get under loose clothing like ticks. It's like a mosquito bite X5 and it sometimes hurts. They swarm like crazy. Worst part is they can lay eggs and hatch in moving water unlike mosquitoes. Spring is not my favorite time of year... They usually start settling down by the end of May.
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    JoeJax What was the result fo plugging a 230 volt motor into 115 volt outlet?
    As your post has been hijacked I might as well join them.
    I once lived next to a bog. The mosquitoes would swarm from June until the first frost.
    What puzzled me was my house had a deck that surrounded half the house. The deck was at one part about 10 feet above ground. On the deck the bugs were few and not a bother. I never knew why the mosquitoes didn't bug me on the high part of the deck.

People that study such things as bugs say mosquitoes follow CO2 that animals expel.
    I'm not so sure. It seemed to me that they actually see body radiation. Like a heat signature. CO2 doesn'y account for why we get bit when it's windy and all that CO2 is gone downstream.
    I have a terrible reaction to bug bites.
    Anything built to code is built to the minimum legal standard

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

SMW Lu49

19. Likes joejax liked this post
    Post Likes
    Believe it or not...
    The solution to repelling mosquitoes... is sugar... or more accurately to get sugar out of your diet!

The mosquitoes are attracted to a 'smell' we radiate when we have lots of sugar in our bloodstream... thus in our sweat.
    No sugar in our diet, no smell, no bites.

And yeah, it works for me...
    Ga-HVAC-tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Beware the Dunning-Kruger effect

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast