Post Likes

Favorite Search Engines

With the free speech and restricted search issues developing at Google, this might be a good time to consider using a different search engine. Some search engines, like DuckDuckGo, are designed specifically to protect your privacy.

Top 15 Most Popular Search Engines | July 2017
    http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/search-engines

The two I use the most are DuckDuckGo and StartPage (by ixquick).
    https://duckduckgo.com/
    https://www.startpage.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuckDuckGo
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixquick

What is/are your favorite(s)?
    Does it have any advantages over others?
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

2. Likes SkullMonkey, Jim1959 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Google is the only one that notifies you they're invading your privacy while you pick your flavor of Koolaid. The "sheep's clothing" is actually their cool apps that take the thinking out of everyday life.

There is no such thing as privacy on the internet. Don't let those "privacy settings" fool you.

Search engines all have algorithms to control the content. Algorithms are learning how we use our access. You may find a search engine with settings you like but don't forget that your internet service provider has it all.

I'm pretty sure Google can guess what I'm having for dinner next Wednesday and how late I will be home.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    DuckDuckGo:

DuckDuckGo positions itself as a search engine that puts privacy first and as such it does not store IP addresses, does not log user information and uses cookies only when needed. Weinberg states "By default, DuckDuckGo does not collect or share personal information. That is our privacy policy in a nutshell." However, they do maintain logs of all search terms used.

Weinberg has refined the quality of his search engine results by deleting search results for companies he believes are content mills, like Demand Media's eHow, which publishes 4000 articles per day produced by paid freelance writers, which Weinberg says is, "...low-quality content designed specifically to rank highly in Google's search index." DuckDuckGo also filters pages with substantial advertising.
    In August 2010, DuckDuckGo introduced anonymous searching, including an exit enclave, for its search engine traffic using Tor network and enabling access through a Tor hidden service. This allows anonymity by routing traffic through a series of encrypted relays. Weinberg stated: "I believe this fits right in line with our privacy policy. Using Tor and DDG, you can now be end to end anonymous with your searching. And if you use our encrypted homepage, you can be end to end encrypted as well."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuckDuckGo

Ixquick:

On June 27, 2006, following Scroogle, Ixquick.com began to delete private details of its users. IP addresses and other personal information were deleted within 48 hours of a search. Ixquick has stated that it does not share its users' personal information with other search engines or with the provider of its sponsored results.

Ixquick was awarded the first European Privacy Seal (EuroPriSe) for its privacy practices on July 14, 2008. This European Union-sponsored initiative guarantees compliance with EU laws and regulations on data security and privacy, through a series of design and technical audits. It was re-certified together with Startpage in 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2015.

On January 28, 2009, Ixquick completely ended the recording of user IP addresses.

On March 29, 2016, Ixquick was discontinued in the United States – officially "merged" with the same company's Startpage search engine (a search engine affiliated with Google, reportedly with some of the privacy features of Ixquick, but using Google searches). Users entering ixquick.com are now automatically re-routed to startpage.com. However, at the end of Ixquick's merger notice (linked from the Ixquick's new home page), the company reports: "We think you're going to love StartPage, but if you prefer original Ixquick search results, don't worry. They are still available at ixquick.eu." Ixquick had long declared, on its home page and/or linked pages, that it operated in compliance with European Union privacy standards, and it apparently retains its original European search engine, at present (April, 2016) – though obviously downplaying it in favor of moving Ixquick.com patrons to Startpage.

Search mechanism and interface

Ixquick returns the top ten results from multiple search engines. It uses a "Star System" to rank its results by awarding one star for every result that has been returned from a search engine. Thereby, the top search results are the ones that have been returned from the most search engines. Ixquick can search in 17 languages: Simplified and Traditional Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, and Turkish. Each language version includes local search engines.

Ixquick uses only one cookie, called "preferences", which remembers a user's search preferences for future searches and is deleted after a user does not visit Ixquick for 90 days. It is however possible to save preferences in a bookmarked URL, thus avoiding cookies completely. Also, preferences are not saved automatically. Only a visitor can decide to save his or her preferences.

Startpage.com

On July 7, 2009 Ixquick launched Startpage.com to offer its service at a URL that is both easier to remember and spell, and in contrast to ixquick.com, fetches results from the Google search engine. This is done without saving the users' IP addresses or giving any personal user information to Google's servers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixquick

See also:
    Tor (anonymity network)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(a...k)#Tor_Browser
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    Google - Most Powerful Monopoly in History, 1776

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnL9jU98PfA
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    How tech giants have shredded our privacy and what we should do about it

Editor's Note: Franklin Foer, a former editor of the “New Republic,” is the author of the new book, “World Without Mind: The Existential Threat of Big Tech.” Foer argues that the corporate ambitions of four major technology companies — Google, Amazon, Facebook and Apple, or “GAFA” — are “shredding the principles that protect individuality. Their devices and sites have collapsed privacy.”
    In his words:

On Google’s influence:

Google’s ability to pick winners and losers in the information world is a menace. These companies have the ability to determine which media companies are successful and which ones are failures. If I adopt a business plan...
    On Facebook’s algorithms:

If I’m reading my Facebook feed, it’s using algorithms, procedures and methods to give me what I want, or what it thinks that I want, or what suits its business plan.

Right now, Facebook wants to make money off of video. So, even though I prefer words...
    On the media:

Our media companies — even the New York Times and the Washington Post — are extremely dependent on Google and Facebook for their traffic. Their readership has declined in terms of subscribers. So, in order to thrive, they have to get viewers and readers through Facebook and Google. They adopt the techniques...
    On fake news:

When you see an article on Facebook, it’s an article on Facebook. It’s not necessarily an article from the New York Times or Fox News.

People stopped paying attention to the source. They stopped thinking...
    What’s next?

These companies are using our data. They act as if they own that data, but really that data is ours. It’s a reflection of our psyches, it’s a reflection of our personal history. It’s ourselves in numeric form.

I think the fact that they’re using something that doesn’t fully belong to them requires certain obligations...

Read the rest:
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-s...edded-privacy/
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    So; I buy my first "smart phone" an i7. Going from a $20 walmart pay by the minute plan.

Was talking about a certain subject with a friend and lo and behold, the next day there was an ad for that item on facebook page. Hmmmmmm.....

Post Likes
    Sorta related...

I will have a procedure at a major medical facility in a couple of months.
    They sent a login code to set up an account to see appointments, billing, internal Emails etc.
    After I set up the account, low and behold there was my picture on the top of the account.
    I did not input that picture and cannot recognize where it came from.
    Big brother'ish....
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    I'm not really concerned that some company may know what I'm searching. I search the internet like anyone could be looking over my shoulder.There are far more things in this world that scare the crap out of me than worrying about Gaggle.
    "Sometimes what's right is what's left after you do everything wrong"--Robin Williams

Post Likes
    I just noticed ixquick gives an ad free search result which if I'm right, makes it even better than ddgo to me

Post Likes
    Google "looking over your shoulder" is not the part that is scary, but the interconnection throughout the net "cloud" that is quite probably also woven into many government "monitoring" agencies as well.

Used to think that the seeming flood of data would obscure any real threat from them, but the way the search engines can crunch data makes it entirely possible that they now have anyone on the planet that is connected on their radar and are sorting us into "bins" of data....

knock-knock..... whois there. (for you net geeks)