Post Likes

Commercial HVAC noise/vibration in Residential unit

Hi everyone,

I have an HVAC problem and I hope you can help.

I recently purchased a condo in a brand new building. The first floor of the building is made up of 5 commercial units. The commercial unit below my unit is one of 3 units were purchased by an Orthodontist that were combined into one large space.

For the first six months the orthodontist units were under construction while he built out the interior. However once he moved in I started hearing and feeling very strong vibrations. We tracked the source of the vibration to his HVAC system. Both HVAC units are mounted to the ceiling directly below my unit. The contractor that installed them said they are suspended on a spring and bushing system and there is nothing more he can do.

The vibration is not only annoying but I have to think it will lower the value of my unit (I did not receive any additional disclosures when I purchased the unit).
    None of the other residential units have his vibration issue.

Does this type of installation sound correct given the situation? Do I have any rights or do I have to live with it? (I live in California).

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by odns View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have an HVAC problem and I hope you can help.

I recently purchased a condo in a brand new building. The first floor of the building is made up of 5 commercial units. The commercial unit below my unit is one of 3 units were purchased by an Orthodontist that were combined into one large space.

For the first six months the orthodontist units were under construction while he built out the interior. However once he moved in I started hearing and feeling very strong vibrations. We tracked the source of the vibration to his HVAC system. Both HVAC units are mounted to the ceiling directly below my unit. The contractor that installed them said they are suspended on a spring and bushing system and there is nothing more he can do.

The vibration is not only annoying but I have to think it will lower the value of my unit (I did not receive any additional disclosures when I purchased the unit).
    None of the other residential units have his vibration issue.

Does this type of installation sound correct given the situation? Do I have any rights or do I have to live with it? (I live in California).

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you!
    In SF? It depends on the install itself. I have seen isolators used that were to small and you have no bounce in the spring.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zamoramax View Post
    In SF? It depends on the install itself. I have seen isolators used that were to small and you have no bounce in the spring.

I am located in Santa Clara County about an hour south of SF. Here is a picture they sent me. I have not been able to see them in person (not that I know what I would be looking at anyways).

Name:  Attach0.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  60.8 KB

Post Likes
    You have some room for bounce. Are they all like that.the metal strap is nice and tight secured to the strut. May be an issue, did they use flex connectors so the ductwork doesn't transfer? If you are the only one with an issue they skipped a step...

Post Likes
    That's a residential air handler, probably a FX4DNF. I seriously doubt its moving more than 2000 cfms. It shouldn't vibrate too much to begin with.

I concur with the need for flex connectors, supply and return. Its hard to tell, but its looks like there's none on the return. Maybe the blower wheel is slightly out of balance or something.

6. Likes zamoramax liked this post
    Post Likes
    did anybody check the PIPING.