Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tinner73 View Post
    can you post some pics of your current set up.....we have lots of ideas.
    Ask and ye shall receive:

Quote Originally Posted by milicz View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive:

My pics are not showing so here is a link:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/miliczan...y=oPGVtq5sBfg#

the return is on the left of the POS Gooman..correct?

how much room is to the right of said crappy furnace?

what is that round pipe with the grille on it???

Correct.

The entire space is about 24 inches across, with 8 inches of space to the right of the furnace.

Good question, I think it is vent or air pipe from furnaces below mine since it comes out from teh floor and is not connected to my furnace in any way.

The round pipe is fresh air intake for that 80% eff. furnace.
    The first man gets the pearl, All the second gets is the shell

Quote Originally Posted by aruddick View Post
    The round pipe is fresh air intake for that 80% eff. furnace.
    you mean combustion air??

what town are you located in OP?

looking at that setup, I think you are always going to have significant return noise no matter what they can change. Just not enough space to get the return you would need going up the wall, although if they could move the furnace over to the right, and get duct up the inside of the wall on left, you may be able to decrease the noise transferred a bit. doesn't look to be enough stud spaces to get enough return from a less than 8" piece of return duct though. Might want to consider a higher wattage surround sound system for the living room J/K
    You can't fix stupid

you mean combustion air??
    Yeah thats the ticket!
    The first man gets the pearl, All the second gets is the shell

Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    looking at that setup, I think you are always going to have significant return noise no matter what they can change. Just not enough space to get the return you would need going up the wall, although if they could move the furnace over to the right, and get duct up the inside of the wall on left, you may be able to decrease the noise transferred a bit. doesn't look to be enough stud spaces to get enough return from a less than 8" piece of return duct though. Might want to consider a higher wattage surround sound system for the living room J/K
    You would think the return would be the loudest part of the furnace, but on mine it's the actually the furnace, once it modulates down when it gets the temp up to snuff it should be much, much quieter. Can you lift the furnace and run a duct underneath and connect the return on the right of it?

You would think the return would be the loudest part of the furnace, but on mine it's the actually the furnace, once it modulates down when it gets the temp up to snuff it should be much, much quieter. Can you lift the furnace and run a duct underneath and connect the return on the right of it?
    That's probably the way I would do it, install a filter box so you can have a 5" media filter, may have an issue in finding one of those that would fit though, if I was to install a Trane, I would go with a perfect fit housing off the bottom, then a heavy gauge box tied to the return on the wall, I would use the entire length of that short stub wall to be sure there was enough return, jsut going to sealed combustion is going to reduce most of your noise then if it is burner noise you are hearing. Most sealed burners are virtually silent when lighting.
    You can't fix stupid

So the HVAC guy was out today, we decided to go with the Rheem modulating, although the specs show it goes down to 22,500 btu on the lowest setting, not 18,000. We determined that we would put a box underneath the furnace to extend the distance between the blower and the return, we can't do a filter box though, because of the stupid fresh air pipe blocking the front. With the box underneath it will be very tight as far as being able to put a steam humidifier in, but that's the plan since the Rheem is shorter then my current furnace. He was not keen on making the return larger, its currently 14x20. Do I have another option for a silent humidifier, the steam one seems like overkill but it is supposed to be silent at least?

He also quoted me what it would cost to make my A/C two-stage , I don't think I'll be doing that.

So the HVAC guy was out today, we decided to go with the Rheem modulating, although the specs show it goes down to 22,500 btu on the lowest setting, not 18,000. We determined that we would put a box underneath the furnace to extend the distance between the blower and the return, we can't do a filter box though, because of the stupid fresh air pipe blocking the front. With the box underneath it will be very tight as far as being able to put a steam humidifier in, but that's the plan since the Rheem is shorter then my current furnace. He was not keen on making the return larger, its currently 14x20. Do I have another option for a silent humidifier, the steam one seems like overkill but it is supposed to be silent at least?

He also quoted me what it would cost to make my A/C two-stage , I don't think I'll be doing that.
    steam humidifiers do not need to be mounted on the duct, they can hang on the wall and it's just a pipe sticking into the duct. I would not use a pad style humidifier, I don't like seeing them hanging above a nice new furnace.
    You can't fix stupid

Are ou getting the Mod control?

With a heat loss that low, can't see you needing a steam humidifier, but its possible.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast