Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    http://www.hvactrainingsolutions.net like the build a tech
    http://hvacrschool.com weekley podcast and daily texh tips to keep techs up to date. Etc. Free.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Where are you located?
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    This is awesome!

TY!

Post Likes
    Central Texas.

Post Likes
    I love that you want to put some effort into training someone. There are so many businesses complaining about the shortage of good techs but everyone seems to forget that every good tech started off green and inexperienced.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooty View Post
    I love that you want to put some effort into training someone. There are so many businesses complaining about the shortage of good techs but everyone seems to forget that every good tech started off green and inexperienced.
    Thank you! We are a family owned business - investing for the future.

:-)

7. Likes dudefromtexas liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tbk13 View Post
    Thank you! We are a family owned business - investing for the future.

:-)
    It's a double edged sword though. Investing in employees is not only wise, but it can cause you to go bust, too, if the worker isn't kept happy. They will leave for greener pastures and your teaching dollars are lost, over and over again.

It may be beneficial to pay for the education with a caveat that if the employee leaves within one year of the training that they are obligated to pay all costs associated with the training. It would have to be incorporated into the employee manual and they would likely have to sign off on such an agreement. Talk with your business advisor/lawyer on how to go about doing it.

It may tell you right off the bat the morale of your employees, who is dedicated, and who has hidden agendas.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    It's a double edged sword though. Investing in employees is not only wise, but it can cause you to go bust, too, if the worker isn't kept happy. They will leave for greener pastures and your teaching dollars are lost, over and over again.

It may be beneficial to pay for the education with a caveat that if the employee leaves within one year of the training that they are obligated to pay all costs associated with the training. It would have to be incorporated into the employee manual and they would likely have to sign off on such an agreement. Talk with your business advisor/lawyer on how to go about doing it.

It may tell you right off the bat the morale of your employees, who is dedicated, and who has hidden agendas.
    Totally agree! TY for bringing this up!

Post Likes
    The solution would be to treat employees well and recognize when their new abilities deserve higher wages. If you hire a kid out of school for $15/h and he takes it to get his foot in the door he isn't going to be happy with $15/h when he has five years under his belt and is working entirely on his own and doing some big ticket jobs. You might think of that guy as somebody that has worked for you for five years but the shop down the road will see that guy as somebody with five years experience and start him accordingly. I don't think anybody likes starting over at a new company and honestly I don't think people should have to quit to get a raise.

Post Likes
    Had a tech over yesterday. He's been with us a few months now, he'd be considered a first year apprentice. I brought out my trainer.

Name:  20170813_094847[1].jpg
Views: 68
Size:  97.4 KB

It's more sophisticated than it looks. It's a demonstration of a lock out relay. He can't read schematics, much less draw them, so the lesson was to trace each wire and draw a schematic; which of course leads to reading schematics. Then after it's drawn, let's measure the volts at the coils and figure out how this thing works.

All considered, it really was an advanced lesson. Considering he doesn't have a clue what ohms law is or how it works. Took maybe an hour and a quarter, but really opened up a new world for him. And I'm not the owner, and I receive no compensation for my time. Except for the satisfaction of helping someone put food on their own table.
    I don't understand happiness as an ambition . . . It's not really worthy. I understand it as a byproduct.

Harrison Ford

12. Likes HVAC_Marc, Sooty, dudefromtexas liked this post
    Post Likes
    The HVAC School podcast, he could listen to while driving from job to job. There's a ton of great info there.
    There are two ways to do things, Right and Again.

Post Likes

Agree completely. My boss is investing in my future and I appreciate it more than words can express. Unfortunately though, too many new techs don't understand the long term benefit of dedicating to the relationship with a good employer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

15. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12