Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Zigbee Sniffer

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    I'd certainly be interested to hear more about BT mesh, there's a blurb on the website with all the marketing words in it.
    Good day Maxburn,

Like most of these technologies... the actual "meat" gets lost is the marketing babble. Unfortunately there is just too much for me to write (as most know on here... I tend to write too much) to provide a general overview and most of the interesting stuff tends to be low level. That being said, if you have any specific questions I can try and and answer them. In the meantime I will see if I can find any info on the web that provides a reasonable overview. If I find something I will post up.

Cheers,

Sam

Post Likes
    I guess the only really relevant question is are there any commercial HVAC organizations participating or showing interest?
    Scott Jalbert
    WebCTRL ninja
    AX and Smartstruxure newb

The S in IoT stands for Security

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    I guess the only really relevant question is are there any commercial HVAC organizations participating or showing interest?
    Good day Scott,

Personally I really do not care if the big boys jump on board or not. Secondly, I have yet to see any of the big HVAC companies actually being leaders some of the newer technologies that are available. For me, I cater to my customers and not necessarily what the big boys are doing. That being said...JCI is one of the larger members of "Thread".

Cheers,

Sam

Post Likes
    I think JCI uses ZB mesh for their wireless sensors and comms now. We just finished a project with that and it does seem to work from what I have heard, not my project.

One big downside. If the coordinator goes down, so does the mesh and nothing is under control anymore. ie stat to controller no talkie talkies, controller to controller no talkie talkie. Not sure if this is just a JCI "feature" or if its related to how ZB mesh works.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    I believe this is a matter of distribution of logic and implementation. I have certainly seen where zigbee to zigbee works on its own, but some manufacturers funnel everything through the coordinator as it is the translator to other protocols.

6. Likes MaxBurn liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amigo View Post
    I believe this is a matter of distribution of logic and implementation.
    Think these are all FCUs so the logic is internal to that controller for the most part. Losing the stat to controller comms should the coordinator go down is a bit troubling, though I think they said it could fail full heat on comms loss. Even still, seems pretty fragile to have everything rely on that coordinator. Couldn't turn off the wifi AP in the coordinator either which caused on-site IT to go crazy. Ended up having to install them in metal enclosures with only the zigbee antenna external. Another well thought out "feature".
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    yes built-in ap, although convenient is huge pia in corporate deployment, I much prefer a builtin ethernet port so you can hang a portable ap off of it and take it away once setup is done.

Post Likes
    There is a software tool for penetration testing (read:hackers) called killerbee.

It won't mess with your network, (unless you try).. but it's not geared for what you want exactly.
    Isn't there ZigbeePro now to fix this kind of problem?
    The DDC system... guilty until proven innocent

Post Likes
    We are using zigbee pro.
    Scott Jalbert
    WebCTRL ninja
    AX and Smartstruxure newb

The S in IoT stands for Security

Post Likes
    Uh-oh then... lol
    The DDC system... guilty until proven innocent

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234