Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Condensor Throttling Valve

Post Likes
    By the way,
    From Triggerhappy: "What is amazing to me is that a control tech. knows the meaning of Net Positive Suction Head."
    Controlnut: It shouldn't be amazing, you should at least try for a rudimentary understanding of any system you are controlling

That was actually a compliment on my part.

With that being said, now thay we know that it is a RTHD assuming it is a CH530 there is a plug and play for the condenser valve in the program(as vauge as it maybe). It ask for a few values and initially opens the valve on pump startup the backs down to control.
    Where is the LaCross products we leave the valve shut and the open up to control.

Sometimes it seem that you are dealing with two different companys between the Screw and Centrvac divisions.

Post Likes
    Klove, where did you get the info on turbulence and flow on the condensor tubes? I am trying to get a better understanding of system operation under HX conditions and cold startups.
    Regards to all, Controlnut[/QUOTE]

It's just one of those things you put together after speaking with a lot of equipment and system engineers, and seeing the reaction of equipment on countless startups and commissioning jobs. One of the great things about working with folks who were in research and development is that they had unlimited access to test facilities and they could give you minute details about what things do under certain conditions (even though they don't normally know how the overall system operates, that's our job). After awhile, you can start putting the pieces of the puzzle together out of sheer repetition, having seen how stuff reacts in a given situation. HHMMMMMM?

What I was speaking of in this case was pressure gradients on the refrigerant side of the condenser being caused by extreme temp differentials from inlet to outlet. Also, in a throttling situation, you almost always fall well below minimum flow rates on the HX. If your valve is on the outlet, your flow is very stable through the HX, but you also get a type of laminar flow due to greatly reduced water velocities. Some of this only comes into play after extended periods of operation under conditions outside the eqpt's design parameters, but not being there to actually see things, I've found it better over the years to throw it in and let you cull through what you don't need. In your case, with the valve on the inlet, you're creating turbulence before it hits the barrel, which aids in the water distribution through the tubes, regardless of how far below minimum recommended flow rate you may be. That's always a plus.

p.s. I also took what "triggerhappy" said about control guys not knowing what NPSH stood for as a compliment to you (I know guys who've been doing eqpt commissioning for years that don't know a pump curve from a shotgun). Many a truth has been spoken in jest.

Post Likes

Lightbulb Still Learning

Thanks to everyone for the information. Klove, I was afraid you were going to say it was an experience thing. Thank you for the additional information though, it is always appreciated. Peace triggerhappy, I actually did take it as a complement, and did not mean my reply as a comeback. It was just a statement. I did get my start in commercial, and then environmental controls. It still amazes me that control techs aren't taught more about system fundamentals before they are turned loose to control the world. Anyway, I wasn't offended, and thanks for your input as well. I don't have many postings, but I read on this board a lot, and have found the answers to many questions by searching previous postings. This is one of the few times that I actually needed to post in order to get more information. This is a great site. I have a little more confidence in what the engineer is requesting now. I guess his placing the tower too low for proper head on the spec'd condensor pump made me a little skeptical about his corrections to the system.
    Regards to all, HVAC_controlnut

Post Likes

Hmm

Sorry reviving an old one here, the machine i'm working on has Ch531 controls package on it and would like to be able to control cond press valve. Anyone know the part number for the add-on 1A15 CDRP module? What software will be necessary to setup configuration of new module and setpoints? Anyone have CTV-PRB006-EN they could send me. Email in profile. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in