What are the differences if any between Lennox & Ducane?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are the differences if any between Lennox & Ducane?

Hello all,
    I'm a homeowner with very little to zero HVAC experience. I also am on my apartment complex's co-op board and many of our residents are now looking to replace their HVAC systems which are 40 years old and are asking for recommendations about various systems. Our original units are Lennox and they've lasted pretty well over the years. It is my understanding that Lennox bought Ducane, but they are still distinctly different systems/products. Is that true?

If so, can someone please explain what those fundamental differences are? (i.e. price? (I'm not asking how much they cost... just is one more expensive or noticably less than the other);
    does one last longer than the other?
    Is the warranty longer on one versus the other?;
    Is one easier or less expensive to serivce than the other?, etc.

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Last edited by missannp; 02-10-2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: typo/clarity

Lennox International owns Lennox and Ducane. They are not the same products, the only relation they have is that they are owned by Lennox International, not Lennox Industries.

I personally consider the Ducane Line as well as the privately branded Aire-Flo line a value brand for the price conscious consumer. I am a Lennox Dealer and I only sell Lennox, I have never purchased a Ducane or Aire-Flo so I can't comment further.

Ducane are simple, basic units, along the lines of the Lennox Merit series. But parts are easy to come by for us non Lennox dealers since they are sold through local distributors, not Lennox. If looking for a lower end unit, they'd be OK. Everyone has their own opinion of brands. Contrary to my buddy Bob, I'm not a Lennox fan. Probably take a Ducane 1st unless I wanted bells & whistles, then I'd go another route.

Confused

Thanks for the quick responses. BaldLoonie, wWhat would be some bells & whistles? I thought they all pretty much functioned the same.

Well a Lennox furnace will heat your house and a Ducane furnace will heat your house. Oh lennox has 90 plus furnaces and Duncane has them also. With a Lennox you can get an ecm blower and with a Ducane you can get a ECM motor too. But with a Lennox you get a name everyone recongnize as a HVAC company and with Ducane you get a company that everyone recongnizes as a grill manufacure. With a Lennox you can get a 5 year parts waranty and 10 year compressor and with Ducane you can get the same.

Oh hell I have no idea what the reall difference is that matters to a home owner other than name.
    My job is to send a man thats wants big money for little effort to a customer that has a problem but doesnt want to pay for it!

Panic caos and disorder my work here is done!

Quote Originally Posted by damifudo View Post
    Well a Lennox furnace will heat your house and a Ducane furnace will heat your house. Oh lennox has 90 plus furnaces and Duncane has them also. With a Lennox you can get an ecm blower and with a Ducane you can get a ECM motor too. But with a Lennox you get a name everyone recongnize as a HVAC company and with Ducane you get a company that everyone recongnizes as a grill manufacure. With a Lennox you can get a 5 year parts waranty and 10 year compressor and with Ducane you can get the same.

Oh hell I have no idea what the reall difference is that matters to a home owner other than name.

Kinda hard to come back to that type of reasoning, oh yea, I know the Lennox is engineered to operate much quieter, listen to a higher end Lennox compared to a Ducane, there is a major difference.

Oh yea.......we have Dave and you guys don't! LOL

Bells & Whistles would be things like 2 stage outdoor units, special sound deadening techniques on the A/Cs, hinged doors to facilitate cleaning, the modulating furnace, special thermostats...

Quote Originally Posted by missannp View Post

does one last longer than the other?
    Is the warranty longer on one versus the other?;
    Is one easier or less expensive to serivce than the other?, etc.

Thank you in advance for your help.
    I wouldn't worry about the brand so much.
    The guys installing the equipment is more important.

Condo's aren't known for having a lot of room to work in.
    You want a company that respects the condo owners property.
    One that lays down tarps, instead of just rolling the hand cart across the carpet.
    Looks for pitfalls before they rip out the old furnace.
    Doesn't matter what brand they sell/install.
    Crappy workmenship, doesn't make a better known brand name work any better then a lesser known brand name.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Bells & Whistles would be things like 2 stage outdoor units, special sound deadening techniques on the A/Cs, hinged doors to facilitate cleaning, the modulating furnace, special thermostats...
    by special thermostats you must be talking about the Lennox signiture stat....

I hate them damn things Never seen a HO yet that could operate em without problems.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post

by special thermostats you must be talking about the Lennox signiture stat....

I hate them damn things Never seen a HO yet that could operate em without problems.
    The Sig Stat was made by Robertshaw................it's finally dead.

I used Ducane as a cheap alternative when a customer wanted to save a couple hundred bucks. In this case you get what you pay for. There are only a few brands that I have ever had to do warranty work on and ducane is one of them. Ive had evap. coils leaking strait from the factories to fan motors that burn up in a few months. If I could give you any advice, shop around. Dont limit yourself to these two brands. Check into other top brands like Carrier. Just so you know, if you havent figured it out for yourself, Everything was built better 40 years ago. Lennox doesnt make the same a/c that they did then, just like GE doesnt make the same Dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Ducane are simple, basic units, along the lines of the Lennox Merit series. But parts are easy to come by for us non Lennox dealers since they are sold through local distributors, not Lennox. If looking for a lower end unit, they'd be OK. Everyone has their own opinion of brands. Contrary to my buddy Bob, I'm not a Lennox fan. Probably take a Ducane 1st unless I wanted bells & whistles, then I'd go another route.
    I can get Aire-flo parts through my Lennox dealer by using a model and serial number. But they are unable to cross reference Ducane parts or the 800 number is unable to do so. We have no Ducane representation in our area that anybody can tell me of. I have to order parts when on the rare occasion that I work on one and need them. The predominant problem I have had with Ducane's are bad gas valves that Honeywell made that were "smart valves" I think are their name. Before you buy any product in your area on a large scale. You need to make sure that parts are easily and readily available, not just the day you buy the furnaces, but the supply house has carried this line of furnaces for SEVERAL years. If I were you and were buying on a large scale. Buy from the big boys with their name on it. Carrier/Bryant, Trane, Lennox, Rheem/Ruud, Goodman.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDeere View Post
    I used Ducane as a cheap alternative when a customer wanted to save a couple hundred bucks. In this case you get what you pay for. There are only a few brands that I have ever had to do warranty work on and ducane is one of them. Ive had evap. coils leaking strait from the factories to fan motors that burn up in a few months. If I could give you any advice, shop around. Dont limit yourself to these two brands. Check into other top brands like Carrier. Just so you know, if you havent figured it out for yourself, Everything was built better 40 years ago. Lennox doesnt make the same a/c that they did then, just like GE doesnt make the same Dryer.
    We have a couple hundred Ducane AC / heat pump systems out in the field with practically no problems. Not one leaker yet.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast