Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggyhere View Post
    You can argue with them all you want but nothing would hold up in court. Improper installation? Yes. Their fault you broke the drain pan? No.
    When plastic drain pans first came out, we discovered quickly that using Teflon tape as a sealant and torqueing the fitting like we did for metal pans caused the plastic pans to crack. (The taper on the fitting essentially acted as a wedge and the Teflon let the fitting go in too far.) My point is that the pans are somewhat fragile.

The blue PVC cement is self priming for a stronger (single step) bond than clear PVC cement used without the purple primer which is a two step process.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Post Likes
    Why didn't you call the company who was most familiar with your equipment? I understand that you wanted to do this thing yourself but you are obviously not qualified if you torqued the drain fitting until the drain pan snapped.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by dstew619 View Post
    So my ac has been turning off because of the safe-t-switch filling with water. My drain line was clogged. The pvc pipes connect to my drip tray via a threaded nipple. So I cut the pvc pipe some 6 inches from the nipple, then I went to loosen the pvc pipe from the nipple at the drain pan. Well as soon as I applied torque the drain pan snapped. The threaded lines were glued on! I called the company who orignally did the work some 1-2 years ago and they said all pvc lines are glued to the threads. My reply, that makes no sense why would there be threads then and how would I ever remove it? The guy said sorry i've been in the industry for over 20 years and this is just how it is done.

I think the company should install a new drain pan for free and this shouldn't be my fault.

So the question is, is it normal to glue pvc threads where the drip line meets the drip pan as the company is claiming? I looked up the plumbing code (not sure it applies to ac units) and it says (code 316.1.1, threaded joints) thread tape or thread lubricant inteded for plastics should be used on all plastic threads.

Doesn't say to use glue anywhere.

Please advise and help. Thanks!
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

3. Likes beshvac, Aerovox liked this post
    Post Likes
    How badly did the pan break? Just a crack or is the female thread boss ripped out of the pan now?
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Common sense ain't so common. A mechanic would recognize a stuck bolt and a hvac guy would back off before he broke a pan.

OTOH, the pan may have been cracked and ho simply finished it off. But how many times have we fixed some worn out plumbing in someone's house because it broke when we were there, therefore we should fix it. I've been stuck w/that one and numerous variations on the theme.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

6. Likes Aerovox liked this post
    Post Likes
    Seems like he didn't want anything but agreement that he should get a free drain pan. <g>
    PHM
    --------

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123