Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Siemens FLN network to Tridium

Has anyone integrated an older Siemens FLN network to Tridium?

Site has a bunch of TEC controllers with MECs and an Insight 3.5.1 front end. It's a mess wright now and they don't want Siemens out anymore.

Zandman

I don't think that Tridium has a driver.

Quote Originally Posted by zandman View Post
    Has anyone integrated an older Siemens FLN network to Tridium?

Site has a bunch of TEC controllers with MECs and an Insight 3.5.1 front end. It's a mess wright now and they don't want Siemens out anymore.

Zandman
    Sounds like you're doing a good job is they don't want "Siemens out" anymore! Well done!

Never heard of any of our FLNS being tied to Tridium.
    Dingman from Iowa~
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The Dingman's webpage, featuring the Ding_Z

These guys know the scoop http://www.csicubed.com/ have used a few of their drivers before, Good folks

I have contacted CSI Cubed and they were indeed very helpful. They have provided me with a temporary operating driver to check out to see if it works. It actually works more as an emulator going through the MMI ports into the system. The guy at CSI Cubed admitted he was not an expert at Siemens equipment but will help me as he can.

The current architecture is that is has Insight 3.5.1 connected to a trunk interface, the trunk then connects to some MECs (the MEC’s along with many end devices are going to be replaced) and then ties into three FLN controllers and then a RBC controller. Each FLN controller has three FLN trunks that connect to the Siemens System 600 labled TEC VAV controllers. RBC controller has 3 FLN trunks.

We will be using the JACE6 AX versions with a new AX supervisor v3.4. We will be expanding the system with new Lon or BACnet based VAV and Custom Programming controllers with JACE6s.

Questions:, according to the CSI literature they are interfacing through the MMI ports on a MEC or MBC. We have MECs on the site but the VAV FLN trunks are actually connected to FLN controllers.
    Does the 232 port on the FLN act the same as the MEC 232 MMI port?
    Can I plug the cord into the FLN controller instead of the MEC?
    Can I plug into the MEC and then go through the FLNs?
    Any tricks on using the CSI driver/emulator?
    Can I plug into the MMI port with hyperterminal? What settings do I need?

As always, many thanks for the replies
    Zandman

Does the 232 port on the FLN act the same as the MEC 232 MMI port?
    Yes, the FLNC is simply a full panel without I\O's.

Can I plug the cord into the FLN controller instead of the MEC?

Yes, the MMI ports are the same.

Not sure I understand this question.. Yes, u can access the FLN's via the MMI.

Any tricks on using the CSI driver/emulator?
    I think I've got one customer with this setup, not sure, as it was installed at least 15 years ago and the customer wasn't really happy with it as it was mostly doing a continuous point log thru the MMI, which not only is slow but limited. It might be more functional now, but I'm pretty sure alot of functionality would be lost. And you'll still need the FLNC online, so not only is this not a reductions in points of failure, but an increase... but that's not what u asked, sorry.

Can I plug into the MMI port with hyperterminal? What settings do I need?

Yes. Settings are dependent on the panel and tech who set it up. Use no flow control and start with 9600 baud and go up from there.
    Dingman from Iowa~
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."

Quote Originally Posted by dingman View Post

Not sure I understand this question.. Yes, u can access the FLN's via the MMI.
    Dingman, if I recall correctly MEC firmware previous to 2.6 was not able to see FLN devices via the MMI port, 2.6 and later was.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm on with this one.

But the MBC & FLNC will be able to access the FLN's via both the MMI and MMI/MODEM ports, regardless of FW as long as you're not going from pre-Apogee controllers and looking into Apogee controllers.

Regards,

Ken

Ken, as far as I've seen, you've always been right on the money with the details of Siemens products.

But, u must be mis-remembering on this one, we've never had a panel in which FLN devices couldn't be accessed via the MMI.

UPDATE, HOLD THE PHONES!

I figured it out.... Ken, you ARE CORRECT that the early MEC's didn't have FLN ports and so the firmware had the FLN menus removed (stupid move).

You are correct that one of the early MEC's that doesn't have an FLN port will NOT be able to view FLN devices that exist on another panel.

The key for the OP would be to look at the MEC and see if it's got an FLN port. I don't remember Siemens doing this for more than a few years, so hopefully there aren't many out there.
    Dingman from Iowa~

Thanks for the info,

I have Win3.0 that I use to talk to standalone TECs. Will the same cable work for the MEC/FLNs and is there a default password or settings that I need to used to hook up. At least for hyperterminal.

Zandman

You will be able to use the same cable for all of the Field Panels that reside on the the BLN (or ALN...same thing with a new name). MEC's, MBC's, FLNC's will all work.

To use Hyperterminal:

If you know how to use the System Profile (in Insight, just make sure you CANCEL when you're done LOOKING. Just trust me!) you can see the port settings for the MMI ports (regarding baud rating). Make sure your comm port is set to the same speed. 8 Data bits, no Parity, 1 Stop bit, no Flow control.

I'm not sure about what username/pwd to use. I would think that the defaults would have been changed. I forget the exact name of the application but I think it's something like Profile Manager. There's a section about BLN accounts (I'm doing this from memory and it's been a few years so take it with a grain of salt). You should be able to enter a new username/pwd there. Make sure you have EDIT level access on the parts you want/need.

Hopefully, that will get you where you need to be.

Ken
    Last edited by chesehd; 02-19-2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: ...

Just to give everyone an update, I used a Jace6 and the trial driver/emulator from CSI cubed. I first hooked into the FLN panel with hyperterminal to get the proper settings, then I pluged into using the JACE. The Jace picked up all the points that I wanted, but.............the points update supeeeeer slow. I did expect this however since the instructions from CSI did specifically point this out. What I didn't expect was that the info from the TECs (the reason I wanted the driver) came through as strings and not real values. Plus I could not write to any on the points since thay are not real numbers and I couldn't find a way to get around this as they would not accept any connection. Plus they have programming in the FLN which I could not access.
    It was worth a try and I appreciate all the effort from everyone but I will have to try a different approach.

Thanks,
    Zandman

Regarding the CSI3 driver...

When you go to add TEC points, there is a drop down that lets you select the point type. There is no point definition report for TEC points so driver doesn't know their types. That said, the latest version tries to guess the point type which you'll find convenient.

Also, there is now a tunnel so you can tunnel through the Jace with a terminal client such as Hyper Terminal.

tunneled terminal service

Does that mean an operator would have to view Tec points through
    a terminal service?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast