Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hilmor VCRT

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 11crv View Post
    How have these been when pulling a vacuum? I think I'm have some issues with the appions during a vacuum.
    I know there are issues with the Appions.
    I have both the new ones and the older. I have rebuilt both.
    Still have vacuum issues.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 11crv View Post
    How have these been when pulling a vacuum? I think I'm have some issues with the appions during a vacuum.
    I've had issues with the accesory port schrader not opening properly. ensuring your schraeder core depressor is long enough, and the core is screwed in deep enough seems to have resolved my vacuum issue.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman0880 View Post
    I actually called Appion about this. Same thing happens on both of mine. I've actually needed to use the pressure to blow the core out on more than one occasion. I was told that I'm compressing the oring to much by over tightening. I asked them if it's over tightened how is it that it still swivels on the service port. Dead silence on the other end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dead silence... because that doesn't make sense. I'll be chatting with our tech support team about this. The o-ring in our VCT does not compress enough to obstruct the movement of the core, so that's just a silly explanation. On behalf of our team, I'm sorry about that.

In our most recent version (late 2015), we did adjust the geometry of the tip, including the shortening the length of the fork. This change, along with how you operate it, has been very effective in all of our testing. I'll share with you the "tip" I've learned about using the tool; please let me know if this does or does not help (assuming you have the latest version, which would have the datestamp marked into the brass fitting).

When you push the plunger all the way on, rotate clockwise (tightening motion) until you feel the fork fully engage the core, and "go further". Then, push down on the plunger while unscrewing. This is to allow the tiny o-rings inside the tip to work their way over the top of the "pin" of the VCT, which is a primary part of the grip.

It may also be useful to put a tiny drop of vacuum pump oil inside this tip on occasion, even when new.

With these two steps, we've seen the current generation of our tool work far more reliably than other tools. I'm really sorry to hear that it has not been your experience, and hopefully we can get them working properly for you.
    Christian Pena - Appion Inc.

For faster evacuation, C.O.F.F.: Clean Oil, Full Flow

Post Likes
    While I cannot say the "squishing" of the o-ring is or is not the issue, I had an experience after reading or maybe because of reading this.

I had one that would not come out. It was under a nitrogen pressure test. I tried multiple times with multiple plungers, the new and old, and could not get it to come out. It was free, just not coming out.
    I was hoping to blow it out, but no go.
    Again, unit under pressure and core is free and vcrt still on valve. A slight loosening of the valve connection and the core shot out like a rocket.

So does the o-ring come into play, I do not know. More experimentation needed.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

5. Likes Gunslinger liked this post
    Post Likes
    My hilmor is too tight. It's too hard to work

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Appion-ChrisP View Post
    Dead silence... because that doesn't make sense. I'll be chatting with our tech support team about this. The o-ring in our VCT does not compress enough to obstruct the movement of the core, so that's just a silly explanation. On behalf of our team, I'm sorry about that.

In our most recent version (late 2015), we did adjust the geometry of the tip, including the shortening the length of the fork. This change, along with how you operate it, has been very effective in all of our testing. I'll share with you the "tip" I've learned about using the tool; please let me know if this does or does not help (assuming you have the latest version, which would have the datestamp marked into the brass fitting).

When you push the plunger all the way on, rotate clockwise (tightening motion) until you feel the fork fully engage the core, and "go further". Then, push down on the plunger while unscrewing. This is to allow the tiny o-rings inside the tip to work their way over the top of the "pin" of the VCT, which is a primary part of the grip.

It may also be useful to put a tiny drop of vacuum pump oil inside this tip on occasion, even when new.

With these two steps, we've seen the current generation of our tool work far more reliably than other tools. I'm really sorry to hear that it has not been your experience, and hopefully we can get them working properly for you.
    Actually that was the way I was using it. And in this case yes it is a new version. Both of them were that I tried. Wish I knew the name of the person I spoke with. I personally thought it highly far fetched that I could hand tighten so hard in such a tight spot that I compressed the oring that much. This isint the first time I've had this issue only to resort to crossing my fingers and blowing the core out with the pressure. I'm open to suggestions to solve the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I just use the plunger off of my YJ tool because all my appion plungers, old and new versions, do not reliably remove the cores under pressure and never have. They do work fine for reinstalling the core.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    While I cannot say the "squishing" of the o-ring is or is not the issue, I had an experience after reading or maybe because of reading this.

I had one that would not come out. It was under a nitrogen pressure test. I tried multiple times with multiple plungers, the new and old, and could not get it to come out. It was free, just not coming out.
    Again, unit under pressure and core is free and vcrt still on valve. A slight loosening of the valve connection and the core shot out like a rocket.

The exact thing happened to me. The fix was to loosen the VCRT and the core did shoot out. Instead of N2, I had R410 in the system. Glad I had gloves on at the time. I loosen the VCRT until there was refrigerant leaking at the service vale connection.
    Doug

Post Likes
    I just watched a Hilmor video that said they will replace the O-rings and plunger at no charge.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes

I have experienced that as well. All of my Appion VCT's are the old style with 2 "O" rings on the swivel.
    -Marty

Post Likes
    I had 2 more units that the "squishing" came into play. While it sounds like a poor excuse, it does seem to have validity.

Post Likes
    I had 2 more units that the "squishing" came into play. While it sounds like a poor excuse, it does seem to have validity.
    I took a look down mine with the single oring using a flashlight. The core threads are tight as it passes the oring. I could see a little squishing being a legitimate issue. They do use the same oring for the 5/16" tool so it might be getting smashed a little to begin with. Plenty of room for the core clearance on my JB core tool but it has the two oring like the old Appion tools.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    I took a look down mine with the single oring using a flashlight. The core threads are tight as it passes the oring. I could see a little squishing being a legitimate issue. They do use the same oring for the 5/16" tool so it might be getting smashed a little to begin with. Plenty of room for the core clearance on my JB core tool but it has the two oring like the old Appion tools.
    You beat me to it!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12