Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hilmor VCRT

Post Likes

Frown Hilmor VCRT

Anyone know if these are better than Appion at core removal?

Does the magnet do anything other than stick to the unit for storage?

I am failing more then succeeding with removal and the Appions. I have 4 of their tools and 2 more gripper portions and still have issues. They unscrew, just don't seem to be able to grab hold of the core.

I saw a tool in a supplier that is for core removal and it has an end that is spring loaded and grips the ball portion of the core. I wonder if this could be incorporated into the VCRT of Appion, YJ, Hilmor, etc?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    I also have the same issue with my appion. It takes me two to three try to remove the core.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I actually called Appion about this. Same thing happens on both of mine. I've actually needed to use the pressure to blow the core out on more than one occasion. I was told that I'm compressing the oring to much by over tightening. I asked them if it's over tightened how is it that it still swivels on the service port. Dead silence on the other end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman0880 View Post
    I actually called Appion about this. Same thing happens on both of mine. I've actually needed to use the pressure to blow the core out on more than one occasion. I was told that I'm compressing the oring to much by over tightening. I asked them if it's over tightened how is it that it still swivels on the service port. Dead silence on the other end.

I wonder if the theory is that the core itself gets stuck on the compressed o-ring. I guess that makes sense. Im gonna test that.

5. Likes Metalman0880 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman0880 View Post

If that's the case, then I need to get word to the mfrs. Most of the time it is on new equipment.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    If that's the case, then I need to get word to the mfrs. Most of the time it is on new equipment.
    Not the core being too tight, but the core tool.

Post Likes
    If they don't grab I wonder if filing the grabber end shorter would help. The two fork fingers might be bottoming out on tight stem heads where the tool plunger just pushes the valve open.

Post Likes
    I did buy a couple of the Hilmor units, vacuum wise they are rated at 20 microns, as far as the core grabber, it is solid, it is a wedging type grabber that grips the edge rather then the core depressor tip. See the attached photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Not the core being too tight, but the core tool.

You are saying the o-ring in the vcrt gets squished causing an obstruction?

11. Likes Metalman0880 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Correct. That is what I was led to believe from tech support at appion. Like I said though my vcr's would easily swivel on both access ports and I had the same trouble with both. If it was only 1 I could understand. Just sounds a little far fetched for both though. It is possible the fork it self may be to long as stated above.

Post Likes
    Thats my interpretation of what Appion told Metalman on the phone.

Post Likes
    Like Jim said the hilmor is a little different, it grips the edges and is a little harder to tell when you have it lined up to push it on the core. I've only used it a couple of times but so far so good, just takes some getting use to. I also have had bad luck with my appions. I've even had the replacement stem piece from appion.

Post Likes
    How have these been when pulling a vacuum? I think I'm have some issues with the appions during a vacuum.
    Life is tough, but is tougher if you are stupid
    -John wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast