Post Likes

thermostat deadband vs temperature differential

I see conflicting definitions for "thermostat deadband"; some use the term interchangeably with temp. differential; some say it is related to switching between heating and cooling cycles.

AFAIK, if the tstat set point is 77F and I program a 3F temp diff, the compressor comes on at 80F and turns off at 77F, for the cooling cycle, right?

How would a 3F stat deadband work? TIA.

Post Likes
    A deadband is an area where the heating/cooling never operate. So, 3 degrees would be 1.5 from the setpoint in either direction.
    This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between posts. Please try again in 50 seconds.

Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Pecmsg - "NEST should only be used with 3-M filters to guarantee total destruction of the equipment!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    Dead ban. The temp range where the HVAC system will neither heat or cool.

EG: Heat 75, Cool 78. Unit won't heat if temp above 75, nor will it cool if temp is below 78.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    It is possible that the meaning of dead band has changed through the years as digital technology has gotten more sophisticated but the dead band was really the temperature swing allowed before the system will come back on. If you have a dead band of 2 degrees then if the thermostat is set to 75 it will cool until it gets to 75 & shut off but will not come back on until it gets to 77. In heating if you set it at 70 then the system will shut off when the temp reaches 70 & will not come back on until the temp reaches 68. Dead band sometimes gets confused with the forced minimum difference setting between heat & cool in auto mode. A 4 degree forced minimum difference setting would mean if you set the cool to 73 then the t-stat would not allow you to set the heat any warmer than 69 in auto mode, which is totally different than the dead band setting.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.

Post Likes
    My stat can be programmed from 1F up to 4F of "temperature differential" and, separately, from 2F to 9F of "auto changeover mode deadband", and I thought I understood both concepts but I am not so sure now.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    A deadband is an area where the heating/cooling never operate. So, 3 degrees would be 1.5 from the setpoint in either direction.
    So, deadband is a setting only when configuring the stat for "auto changeover mode" (from heating to cooling)?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Dead ban. The temp range where the HVAC system will neither heat or cool.

EG: Heat 75, Cool 78. Unit won't heat if temp above 75, nor will it cool if temp is below 78.
    sounds similar to the previous answer, but not quite. Are you referring to manual changeover where you set different heat and cool setpoints, or auto changeover where (I presume) you program a single setpoint and a deadband value around the setpoint?

Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    If you have a dead band of 2 degrees then if the thermostat is set to 75 it will cool until it gets to 75 & shut off but will not come back on until it gets to 77. In heating if you set it at 70 then the system will shut off when the temp reaches 70 & will not come back on until the temp reaches 68.
    This sounds more like temperature differential to me ... at least that's what my stat manual "implies" but doesn't really clearly explain ...

Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    Dead band sometimes gets confused with the forced minimum difference setting between heat & cool in auto mode. A 4 degree forced minimum difference setting would mean if you set the cool to 73 then the t-stat would not allow you to set the heat any warmer than 69 in auto mode, which is totally different than the dead band setting.
    Yes, this is one of the definitions I read somewhere but now it doesn't sound right.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.keenan View Post

So, deadband is a setting only when configuring the stat for "auto changeover mode" (from heating to cooling)?

Yep.

Are you referring to manual changeover where you set different heat and cool setpoints, or auto changeover where (I presume) you program a single setpoint and a deadband value around the setpoint?

Manual change over doesn't have a dead band.

Auto change over has a dead band. And it is the area of temp the thermostat will not call for heating or cooling. Whether it be 2 or 10 degrees, that is the dead band.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.keenan View Post

yes
    This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between posts. Please try again in 50 seconds.

Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Pecmsg - "NEST should only be used with 3-M filters to guarantee total destruction of the equipment!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."