Post Likes

Single unit ductless for 4 rooms

I have a quote for a ductless system to be installed in my place, but have decided to only install an air handler in the living room because there is no exterior wall in the bedroom that can accommodate an air handler and I don't want to see the conduit on the wall. (There's no room to hide it in the ceiling or wall either).

Living room is 20x20 and the installer is saying that if I put a 24000 btu unit in, that will help cool down living room, kitchen, bedroom and small office too.

I'm a little worried that 24K will be way too big. I know oversizing can be as much a problem as undersizing.

Thanks!

Post Likes
    You need to ask the installer to explain to you how the unit works and how it's function will work where and how they want to install it. The installer is the best informed to do this because they have seen your home and the layout of the rooms etc..

Most ductless units are inverter type units that can change their output depending on the conditions, how you set the controls and how close the unit is to getting the temperature in the space to the set point.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    You didn’t mention how much total space to cool/heat, but a quality inverter unit will adjust efficiently as mentioned.

It’s too bad you cannot get a passage for lines and drain to the other rooms. In addition to high wall mount units, there are other options including recessed cassettes.

I wouldn’t worry too much about being oversized with an inverter type mini-split. I’d be more concerned with hotspots and, if heatpump, coolspots.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyResults View Post
    You didn’t mention how much total space to cool/heat, but a quality inverter unit will adjust efficiently as mentioned.

It’s too bad you cannot get a passage for lines and drain to the other rooms. In addition to high wall mount units, there are other options including recessed cassettes.

I wouldn’t worry too much about being oversized with an inverter type mini-split. I’d be more concerned with hotspots and, if heatpump, coolspots.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I'd really like one in the bedroom but not enough to put up with looking at the conduit. A recessed cassette was my first choice but I was told they can only be installed in a ceiling that has an attic above it, as the service panel has to be accessed from above.