Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cebu City, Philippines
    Posts
    44
    Post Likes

    Liquid CO2 Tank Storage Refrigeration

    Hi All,

    We are maintaining 300psi and -20deg C. Liquid CO2 tank (estimated 10Tons weight) using 7hp reciprocating compressor.
    high side at 380 psi, and low side at 20psi.

    Question: Is there a scroll compressors capable to replace reciprocating compressors? or anyone experience replacing a reciprocating to scroll compressor for CO2 application?

    Regards,
    Moriel

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    15,538
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by morzy View Post
    Hi All,

    We are maintaining 300psi and -20deg C. Liquid CO2 tank (estimated 10Tons weight) using 7hp reciprocating compressor.
    high side at 380 psi, and low side at 20psi.

    Question: Is there a scroll compressors capable to replace reciprocating compressors? or anyone experience replacing a reciprocating to scroll compressor for CO2 application?

    Regards,
    Moriel
    Im sure there is....

    Do you have a model # on the existing Recp Compressor?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    535
    Post Likes
    Yes it’s possible what do you hope to achieve by doing this. Your using a refrigeration system to cool your co2 skid and keep it at 300 psi or less correct?
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

    I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    15,538
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    Yes it’s possible what do you hope to achieve by doing this. Your using a refrigeration system to cool your co2 skid and keep it at 300 psi or less correct?
    I'll ASSUME its from the misconception that Scrolls cant run that low.

    I guess my R-404A LT pump downs wont work with 5# CO setting

    and MT units as well!

  5. Likes crazzycajun liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cebu City, Philippines
    Posts
    44
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Im sure there is....

    Do you have a model # on the existing Recp Compressor?
    Compressor is bitzer 4TES-9Y

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cebu City, Philippines
    Posts
    44
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    I'll ASSUME its from the misconception that Scrolls cant run that low.

    I guess my R-404A LT pump downs wont work with 5# CO setting

    and MT units as well!
    Yes! Liquid CO2 storage tank. 300psi or an evaporator inside at -15deg C to keep the pressure at 300psi. The current compressor seems to have mechanical prob and plan to replace scroll considering lower price than reciprocating.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southold, NY
    Posts
    15,538
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by morzy View Post
    Compressor is bitzer 4TES-9Y
    https://climate.emerson.com/online-p...ction=xrefhome

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In a machine room
    Posts
    7,976
    Post Likes
    I would never recommend going to a scroll for low temp. There's a reason they are cheaper than recips
    Worry is a really gross misuse of one's imagination. -- PHM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.