Post Likes

Will R407c Work In A R410a Condenser?

I have a customer whose side yard is very narrow at 5', not unusual here in Southern California, he had an R22 system installed at the tail end of the phase out of the "dry charge" R22 units so the system isn't in too bad of shape. The problem is the existing condenser blocks almost the entire access on the side yard. He'd like a side discharge "slim line" condenser to regain access to the side yard but there are none that I'm aware of that aren't R410a and the customer doesn't want to spend the money on a new R410a system.

I've done several R407c retrofits that have worked well and that got me questioning what would happen if you recovered all the R410a from a "slimline" condenser and charged it with R407c? I'm sure that would void any warranty but they both use POE, the compressors built for higher pressures so maybe that's a positive. I understand the R410a compressor has smaller capacity but would there be some type of offset that would let the system work?

Has anyone tried this combination successfully? Just kind of curious....

Kirk

Post Likes
    Will it work, yes. A compressor doesn't really care what its compressing so long as it can be compressed. Will it cool at its rated capacity, no.

3. Likes JeffWil liked this post
    Post Likes
    Not sure I'm grasping what exactly you are saving by doing this?
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    How is putting 407 in a 410 compressor saving the customer money?

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Just put the R410A condenser in, reuse the indoor unit, and change out the indoor metering device to R410A.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

7. Likes vin lashon, JeffWil liked this post
    Post Likes
    A 410a compressor running 407C will lose about 35% capacity.

beenthere's solution is your best bet.

9. Likes Core_d, JeffWil liked this post
    Post Likes
    This forum requires that you wait 20 seconds between posts. Please try again in 50 seconds.

Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Pecmsg - "NEST should only be used with 3-M filters to guarantee total destruction of the equipment!"

Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

Post Likes
    build a ramp/ stairway going over it …. cheaper and easier , and looks great too ….

12. Likes mike7357 liked this post