Post Likes

Lightbulb Understanding Economizer controls

Hey all, just made the switch from residental to commercial about a year ago. Looking for any helpful insights, or explanation of economizers. We work on a lot of national accounts so EMS trips me up a bit too with these. I understand the need for a 2 stage stat when utilizing economizers. I know TR and TR1 are my hot and common to the logic board. SO,So+ are from the OAT , T,T1 MAT, SR,SR+ RAT, P,P1 min pos.
    I know the different numbered terminals have open and closed relays that cycle on my different compressors. I’m looking for testing procedures really. I’ve only been taught raising min pos to max will cause the actuators to open the dampers. Is there any way I can jump out the OAT using a resistor to test operation? Or is it just ohming out the OAT to determine if faulty or not? If I for instance cycle min pos to max and my actuator doesn’t cycle are there steps to take to determine wether the actuator itself is bad or if the logic module isn’t sending a signal?

Post Likes
    You could, but then you'd have to get specific resistors to read specific temps so as to open to said set point. Kinda over kill, get yourself a 10k resistor chart on your phone test to OAT if it's reading right and the actuator opens and closes fully it's doin it's thang.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Each manufacturer has their own test procedure for each model not all units use the same controls. Some are solid state others are mechanical.

Post Likes
    There is a thread in the pro side of the site that has multiple documents dealing with different economizers. Make some technical posts and apply for pro status so you can access the professional forums. You'll find it well worth your while.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

5. Likes TakePrideInWork liked this post
    Post Likes

Post Likes
    Understanding Economizers is only a part of the battle. Understanding Psychrometrics is the other part to know.
    "Psychrometrics Without Tears" by Professor Eugene Silberstein.
    "Airside System Analysis" by Norm Christopherson.

Both a Good Read.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Understanding Economizers is only a part of the battle. Understanding Psychrometrics is the other part to know.
    "Psychrometrics Without Tears" by Professor Eugene Silberstein.
    "Airside System Analysis" by Norm Christopherson.

Both a Good Read.
    What he said! Both great books!

You gotta spend money to Make money. If you’re getting into commercial work, invest in your future!!

9. Likes Juan Madera liked this post
    Post Likes
    I Like the Jade control economizer set ups, they are easy to install and understand plus they work well with the traditional "black box" ecomomizer motor actuator. I will often order the jade board controller and applicable sensors for what I want to accomplish with the economizer and install them in a new units economizer or existing, doing completely away with the factory set up. Just my preference tho.

Post Likes
    I have installed a few Jade setups I agree they are nice. Easy install, easy setup.

Post Likes
    Local to me I see, nice to meet you

Post Likes
    Just installed 4 new RUUD RTU's and they came factory with the Jade economizers. Have installed a few Jades on other older RTU's as well and am highly satisfied with them.

Post Likes
    You as well. Such a huge industry packed in such a small world. Always great to meet like minded techs or people in general.

15. Likes TakePrideInWork liked this post