Post Likes

Pressure equalization time

What do you guys think should be the average pressure equalization time on a refrigeration deck, suspecting I might have a cap tube freezing up.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wec1951 View Post
    What do you guys think should be the average pressure equalization time on a refrigeration deck, suspecting I might have a cap tube freezing up.
    not sure if you have access ......

with the unit OFF ... is there anyway you can carefully warm ( heat gun ) the cap tube inlet and unfreeze it while you are suspecting it is frozen ? if it is freezing and your low side pressure is low because it is freezing and you warm it up and it unfreezes you should see a noticeable rise in your low side pressure .....

OR ...... with the unit OFF even if it unfreezes on its own I would think you would see a noticeable rise in your low side pressure the moment it unfreezes ....

to answer your question I would GUESS around 3 minutes .... but that is just a guess ......
    Last edited by hvacskills; 08-08-2018 at 12:12 AM.
    TYRANNY

The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary, selfappointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny.

the refrigerant sacrificed some of its soldiers to boil off so they could cool themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5ij89gyMcY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacskills View Post
    not sure if you have access ......

with the unit OFF ... is there anyway you can carefully warm ( heat gun ) the cap tube inlet and unfreeze it while you are suspecting it is frozen ? if it is freezing and your low side pressure is low because it is freezing and you warm it up and it unfreezes you should see a noticeable rise in your low side pressure .....

OR ...... with the unit OFF even if it unfreezes on its own I would think you would see a noticeable rise in your low side pressure the moment it unfreezes ....

to answer your question I would GUESS around 3 minutes .... but that is just a guess ......
    Most of the decks I work on take about 2-3 min but I’ve got one that’s cycling a couple of times and then ends up in a vacuum, low side access only at this time, filter drier not an issue and no visible freezing but pressure doesn’t come back up fast enough.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wec1951 View Post
    Most of the decks I work on take about 2-3 min but I’ve got one that’s cycling a couple of times and then ends up in a vacuum, low side access only at this time, filter drier not an issue and no visible freezing but pressure doesn’t come back up fast enough.
    if it is cycling normally a few times then goes into a vacuum I would highly suspect the capillary tubing freezing due to moisture in the system ....

when it is cycling a few times normally and you shut it off does the pressure come back up normally then ?

do you have any R12 ?
    TYRANNY

The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary, selfappointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny.

the refrigerant sacrificed some of its soldiers to boil off so they could cool themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5ij89gyMcY