Post Likes

RTAC contactor replacement

I purchased some new contactors for an RTAC200 and from what I’ve seen, the new ones are slightly different in size so I can’t use the old mechanical interlock or aux switches (these come with switches though). I also noticed the existing wire lugs and shorting bars will not fit in the new contactor terminals as they are too big. So I’d have to cut the old lugs off and purchase new shorting bars. Trane doesn’t supply lug kits for these so other than getting one that fits, are there specific lugs I should look for? I never had to use one. These are Trane supplied parts btw

So basically what I wanted to know from the guys who’ve done this is, are there any horror stories about using these new contactors?

Post Likes
    We have done quite a few when they select replacements the cross over sheet they use tells them the shorting bar intelocks and they list contactors with and without lugs.

I would have them reselect it correctlly for you.

The only problem we have ran into is the box would read correct part number but wrong product in the box

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    *This is for an RTAC140, not 200*

So Trane sent me the Benshaw cross over sheet they used and I went on comfort site to see what I had then crossed referenced it to the ones he ordered for me. It seems to be right apparently =\

The new contactors I got are "Metasol" and he sent me a pdf from them regarding their contactors. Basically stating they are not direct drop ins and that some modifications will be required (rewiring, pulling wires, mounting, etc). In the old set up, 1k7 and 1k6 interlock even though they are 2 different contactors. According to the metasol sheet, the replacements I got will not work because the dimensions are different so I will have to upsize the 60a contactor to a 90a in order for the interlock to work correctly.. I'm also curious as to how the shorting bar will be installed in the new contactors since the old one had screws securing them in place where as the new contactors don't have that set up. Those are still on the way so I guess I'll just wait and see
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    Yeah, I had the same problem a couple months back. I would suggest you get Pueblo Tech Support involved.

Post Likes
    I don’t have tech supports info so I tried getting in touch with Trane through their site and was simply told to get in touch with the local supply house. The guy from the supply house is out this week so I’ll just wait for him to come back.

Post Likes
    There are only two different interlocks and the jumper bar is just flat plate the gets put in where wires would go and the clamping force holds ot in place when you tighten the screws.

What are the part numbers of the contactors that get interlocked?

Post Likes
    The existing shorting bars don’t fit the new contactors, so I’ll have to order all new ones. It’s crazy how much they cost but whatever.. my concern about the clamping force on the new contactors is that the plates are curved and the new bars will probably be flat like the other ones. I was just thinking they won’t get full surface contact, so I guess it’s not as big a deal as I’m making it to be.

The part numbers for the contactors are CTR02729 and CTR02726. According to metasol, I can’t interlock these because of the differing dimensions, so I’ll have to upsize the smaller one

Post Likes
    Thats interseting the sheet I have shows same interlock for both of those.

Post Likes
    I think the interlock part is the same. The issue is that the 60a has a smaller depth than the 90a. Apparently, the've had issue where the contactors "float" if you try to interlock the two different size contactors.

Here is the pdf for anyone interested. The floating issue is on the last page.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Likes
    Got the new shorting bars. Too big. They had the next size down in stock. Too small! Apparently, there's another cross reference sheet that he found which shows a different contactor as a replacement. Not sure why there would be multiple sheets for the same manufacture. New one will be in Monday, so we'll see what happens then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess I'll keep updating this thread for future reference