+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it just me, Or is something screwy here?

Post Likes
    Take a good look at these pics here....

What could possibly be wrong here? This unit has been in for at least 6 years...I forgot the serial # it's in the truck somewhere...let me know what you think!

[Edited by Boss on 12-29-2003 at 05:52 PM]

Post Likes
    ROFLMAO!!!

It upside down!!!

This kind of crap puts a burr under my saddle! No wonder my A*# is chapped!

Unreal!!

Post Likes
    we have a cust. that has a 80% inshot burners installed on its back ,access panels on the top side, they won't change it ,it works! told them fix it or call someone else

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dakers
    ROFLMAO!!!

It upside down!!!

This kind of crap puts a burr under my saddle! No wonder my A*# is chapped!

Unreal!!
    Actually I cant tell if the complete retrofit was done right to flip this heater(from this pic) but that furnace is installed right-Ducanes are made to be swappable to either side and if ur electrical and gas are not on the right side that is what the furnace will look like after you flip it

Pull a Ducane manual and check it out if you dont believe me
    (that is if its a Ducane which is what it looks like)

Post Likes

Hmm

You can convert the burners/gas valve to the other side, but they have never been allowed to install the burners above the exhaust venting. It is not designed that way and voids all warranties as well as all testing labels. Someone just flat BLEW IT!!!

Post Likes
    On the Ducane you have to flip the whole heater which puts the draft motor on the bottom, that install is correct go to this link
    http://www.ducanehvac.com/gas/pdf/20537001.pdf
    you have to go to page 22 of this link

Post Likes

Talking

Hey Joey,

Email me some salt. Crow tastes a little better with salt. The last time I looked at the manual, this was not allowed. It has change evidently. We are all here to learn, teach and school is open! Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Do you agree that there are several code violations on this installation?

Post Likes
    Yeah I agree that there are several things done that shouldnt be but I had to double check myself though too
    it is far better to put a foot in your mouth here than in front of the customer lol

Post Likes
    I'm really glad I posted these photos here...I had told the customer that I wasn't sure about the installation, and I was going to get Carrier to fax me the installation instructions...now I don't need to, got them printing right now I had my suspicions that it was installed upside-down too, but wanted to check to make sure. Thanks alot....you learn something new everyday!

Post Likes

Talking

Well, I agree about inserting a foot into the mouth region! I still do NOT like the design [to old fashion]. Yes, we do learn every day. We also screw up every day. I had an instructor that said if you didn't make a mistake, you were not doing anything. I would insist on correcting all the code violations for the sake of the customers safety. If they would not make the repairs, I would have them sign a waiver for my own protection. The last contractor there assumes the responsibility in most cases. CYA!!...know what I mean?

Post Likes

Hmm

I was looking at the pick and at first it does appear that the furnance is upside down,but after going through the instructions,and looking at the pictures it can be flip up-side down,but the only thing that does not looks wright to me is the inducer blower was not turn. The other question is about the limit switch when installed upside down the limit switch is on the top which to me makes more sense, but when the furnance is installed the standard wright to left airflow the limit switch is on the bottom.

Post Likes

It does't appear to be a simple flip of the furnace.

Originally posted by hugo
    ....the only thing that does not looks right to me is the inducer blower was not turned.
    In the install manual page 14(22) the picture shows the motor for the combustion air below the vent pipe outlet. In the photo of the Job, this is reversed. I don't know the equipment at all, but the position of the combustion air blower is NOT as the manual shows it shouldo be. I have no idea how this could occur but I'd want to know for liability reasons and I would submit the photo to the factory for their analysis and opinion.

Post Likes
    i recently found a goodman upflow that was put in up side down. i called goodman because they have a model that can go in any direction. it wasent that model but at least the got a brand right. the furnace over heated about every two mintutes. and it had been in there for 6 years. the only goodman that would last six years and they had to put it in upsidedown

Post Likes

Hmm Its Upside Down

I have the exact same furnace at a home in Ontario.. That baby is upside down,,,,,,

Post Likes

Hmm Upside Down

Further to my last,,, It is a Keeprite 80BTU,, Horizontal (left or right only). Multi position furnaces were not tearing up the market at that time. The Induced Draft Fan must be mounted above burner, This one is not. Also notice the flue vent,,, attached in such as way at to vent upwards, but in no way anywhere close to manufacturers instruction,,, this installation was done by a couple of guys in a volkswagen showing up with all their tools still in the packaging,, and not having a clue,, but probably got the cheque off the customer. Why was it never inspected?,, Because the inspector for the utility is not about to go up into a crawl space or attic when his waist measurements exceed the size of the hatch.
    Regards

Post Likes
    No really that is a retrofit I have done before, It is correct if the instructions are followed properly!!!

Post Likes
    Beleive it or not ducane says it can be installed like this go figure

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in