Post Likes

Low super heat high sub cooling

Hello all I've been an AC tech going on two years now and I've come across a problem in my own system at home that had given me problems.

My super heat is low at about 10 degrees and subcooling is about 40 my pressures are about 60/225.

My suction line temp freezes sometimes but not all the time. When I recovered all the refrigerant to check for a leak and pulled a vacuum when I charge the system it only took about 2 lbs of liquid the rest had to be charged on suction side which was about another 8 lbs of r22.

Any idea? Help?

Payne split system
    Piston meter device

Also my liquid line is not got at all even though it's registering at about 78 degrees

Post Likes
    how are you taking the subcooling measurement? and what size system is this

Post Likes
    Some more data would be helpful. Indoor and outdoor temps, humidity, delta T would all help. From what you've said, I would check the indoor airflow and make sure the evaporator was clean.

4. Likes hvacskills, DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    as mentioned a lot more information would be helpful ..... is the outdoor unit and indoor coil matched, installed at same time ?

as mentioned is the evaporator coil clean ? blower wheel clean ?
    Last edited by hvacskills; 07-14-2018 at 08:58 AM.
    TYRANNY

The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary, selfappointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny.

allowing members to insult and call another member names then banning the person that was insulted and called names ?

yeah, TYRANNY, sounds about right to me .... you know it when you smell it ....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton92 View Post
    how are you taking the subcooling measurement? and what size system is this
    I had a temp clamp on the high side line at the EVAP near the air handler.

Post Likes
    Anyo else notice that the op added 10 pounds of r 22?

8. Likes vin lashon, DavidDeBord, joemach liked this post
    Post Likes
    Air flow would be my first concern if that's all I had to go on...However I would want indoor dry and wet bulb as well as outdoor ambient before arriving at any meaningful conclusions.

Filter, blower motor, evaporator obstructed, supplies or returns blocked...

Charged eight pounds of vapor...why? How long did that take? What's the data plate condenser charge?

I'm sure everyone is thinking you dumped in way too much to overcome a restriction, and that the factory charge plus line set would yield the usual signs of a restriction: High super heat and elevated subcooling. Unless it's a larger, higher efficiency system that really takes that much...
    Is the Religious Right to blame for Christianity's decline?

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nitys-decline/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    I'm sure everyone is thinking you dumped in way too much to overcome a restriction, and that the factory charge plus line set would yield the usual signs of a restriction: High super heat and elevated subcooling. Unless it's a larger, higher efficiency system that really takes that much...
    right, without numbers cant say ... my first thought was an airlfow issue too, however in a " normal " system if it was an airflow issue the evaporator coil would probably be flooded with that much sub cooling / charge ..... probably a little bit of both going on, wrong size orifice / restriction and / or air flow issue ....
    TYRANNY

The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary, selfappointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny.

allowing members to insult and call another member names then banning the person that was insulted and called names ?

yeah, TYRANNY, sounds about right to me .... you know it when you smell it ....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinaces View Post
    Hello all I've been an AC tech going on two years now and I've come across a problem in my own system at home that had given me problems.

Also my liquid line is not got at all even though it's registering at about 78 degrees
    I'm assuming you mean 'hot' (even though it's "78°").

Sorry, you don't sound like a 2 year tech to me. Call a pro before you blow something up.

12. Likes lions_lair, DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    what size is the system?