Post Likes

Hmm Redfish iDVM 510 & 333 clamp disappointment

I have had this about a week and just can't seem to like it. Main reason was to get direct input to MQ without having to manually input it. At this time I just can't justify the cost!

The fact it has no direct amp reading, you have to do some division and the switching of the probes and clamp leads just seem poorly thought out for what it costs. It just seems like they threw that together to give it the ability to do it as an afterthought.

It is also pretty bulky.

Why couldn't the voltage leads be used to connect to the amp clamp leads, like Fieldpiece leads that come apart?
    How about a splitter/"Y" connection or dual ports on the meter?

Seems like the Fieldpiece leads do work, I was trying to make myself like this meter enough to keep it.

I have also had issues with it displaying/transmitting amps and voltage for 120V equipment in MQ. It beeps as though it did, but nothing shows in the app. Work fine on 240V stuff.

Anyone else have experience with this meter they care to share.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Not yet, I’ve thought about buying it for the same reason. Just haven’t heard enough good reviews. Thanks for your input.
    There are two ways to do things, Right and Again.

Post Likes
    I picked up a iDVM 510 recently but still in the infant stages of messing with it and what I want to get out of it. Admittedly not messed around much with MQ as yet as I was waiting for a further release which made it easier for those not in the USA to use.

Unfortunately I don't have alot of 110v equipment at my disposal and the nominal voltage here is 230/400v. I've not had issues reading both line to neutral and line to line and taking some test recordings. I didn't purchase the 333 clamp as I was given an old Fluke 80i-400 clamp which is what I've been using. It appears to read fine and I can log in iDVM2 app.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    I have had this about a week and just can't seem to like it. Main reason was to get direct input to MQ without having to manually input it. At this time I just can't justify the cost!

The fact it has no direct amp reading, you have to do some division and the switching of the probes and clamp leads just seem poorly thought out for what it costs. It just seems like they threw that together to give it the ability to do it as an afterthought.

It is also pretty bulky.

Why couldn't the voltage leads be used to connect to the amp clamp leads, like Fieldpiece leads that come apart?

Seems like the Fieldpiece leads do work, I was trying to make myself like this meter enough to keep it.

I have also had issues with it displaying/transmitting amps and voltage for 120V equipment in MQ. It beeps as though it did, but nothing shows in the app. Work fine on 240V stuff.

The features you are looking for are there, I think you may have overlooked them or we did not make them obvious enough to be intuitive.

1) The RF meter is added to the tool box

2) You configure the measurement for the system you are working on. If it is 120V, you have to set the equipment up for that in the electrical configuration section. We did this, so the meter knows what to expect and does not measure early on the auto capture. 240 for the condenser is the default setting, and 120 for the evaporator fan.

3) Make the measurement voltage measurement, it will come in a beep.

4) For current, when it goes to the amperage fields, put clamp leads in the same place you would put the leads to measure voltage. The RF clamp is a voltage output. The fluke is a mA output. They work differently.

5) It will tell you when to install the clamp and wait for a 0V reading, (clamp closed)

6) There is a configuration button by default set to the x10 (set your clamp to the 10mV/A setting (this give you additional resolution for low amperage readings (100 amps or less). This is the default setting.

7) The meter will beep when the amperage is stable, and record and do any math automatically.

I just ran a test to comfirm it is all working. You should be good to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    JLB,

Post Likes
    I will try the 120V reads again.
    As I said, it did beep but just showed the meter icon and no numbers.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Post Likes
    I will try the 120V reads again.
    As I said, it did beep but just showed the meter icon and no numbers.
    Check your app version too. There were some problems with electrical at one point. It might just be you did not get the update.

The latest version is 0.2.13 (201807091001)

Thanks

Jim
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    Check your app version too. There were some problems with electrical at one point. It might just be you did not get the update.

The latest version is 0.2.13 (201807091001)

Thanks

Jim

I will.

Just downloaded Techlink this week.
    MQ seems to do an update, or at least check each time it's opened.

Post Likes
    Here is an argument for the Redfish.

The fused disconnect for a condenser yesterday was centered above the unit on the exterior wall. The breaker panel was around a corner 40 feet away.

So, I had options. I could watch my meter for in rush current and blindly shove the disconnect in while reaching over a malfunctioning condenser. I really didn't like that option.

With the Redfish, I started the app on my phone, connected to my Redfish, and started recording the data log. Then I was able to energize the circuit at the breaker panel at a safe distance.

I used the data log recording to show the customer what was going on with the compressor failure.
    It's an upside down world we live in.

9. Likes Bels liked this post
    Post Likes

It is also pretty bulky.

thats why im waiting on the next one coming it does all this stuff that this doesnt, correct?