Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Likes
    The reality is that in commercial, the money it takes for new equipment, is usually better spent in another area of the business.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    The reality is that in commercial, the money it takes for new equipment, is usually better spent in another area of the business.
    And to take it a step further, with some commercial and a lot of industrial, the equipment isn’t coming out without pulling down walls or ripping off the roof.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    I've replaced RTUs not a problem. I've replaced 40 ton compressor with 2 20 ton CUs. Some old commercial Air Handlers you would have to tear things apart but there is times that's even needed depending. Residential and Light commercial it pays for itself. Most of the time when equipment has problems that's new is because it was installed really poorly. Units that were built in the late 90s were a lot better than the 1980s pieces of crap. There are a lot more serviceman friendly. But a residential heat pump 40 years old needs to go

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thekux View Post
    I'm saving people over $1,000 a year some closer to 1500 and just six months of heating operation heat pump installations.
    I would need to se documented proof of that.

IF true, then their old system was incorrect!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Not to mention commercial warranty on all parts is usually 1 year, with the exception of some compressors being 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    And to take it a step further, with some commercial and a lot of industrial, the equipment isnt coming out without pulling down walls or ripping off the roof.
    Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I cannot possibly see how any equipment he has installed based on his photos would even perform at the rated specs. Probably using more energy than required based on poor design and installation practices.
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    I would need to se documented proof of that.

IF true, then their old system was incorrect!!
    Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

7. Likes kdean1 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I didn't post pics of that job. I gave you the specs on the Old Furnace it was 100,000 BTU input. The new one has 60,000. It was also a two-stage 60,000 BTU 80 % furnace. It has a lot better airflow than the old hunk of junk that was there that was belt driven. Residential equipment has a minimum of 5 years on the compressor many have 10. Only commercial equipments only got a one-year warranty. many commercial have 5 years on them as well on the compressors.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    And to take it a step further, with some commercial and a lot of industrial, the equipment isn’t coming out without pulling down walls or ripping off the roof.
    Or taking out a window on the 25th floor. That was fun. I wish I still had the picture of me sitting on the ledge.

With alot of the work I'm currently doing at hospitals you cant just replace units. Sure any where else a package unit may get swapped out, but at hospitals its cheaper to replace the coils and compressor than it is to put in a new one. We've done complete rebuilds on package units where the only original bit was the sheet metal frame. Per OSHPD that's fine. The only exception are replacing smaller mushroom exhaust fans that dont serve critical areas.

Hell as I write this I'm replacing a condenser coil on a split system. Kinda crazy but its an easy 10 hours of OT.

When I did residential my limit was about 20 years depending on the location. I had a unit that was about 100 yards from the ocean on top of a building. It was 3 years old and the fins were already starting to flake off. That unit would be lucky to make it to 10 years. Granted some of these new coatings look promising but I have yet to try them.

Post Likes
    I'll bet that 99 out of 100 people here reading this don't know what OSHPD is.

Let's put it this way . . . They are about the only regulatory organization/agency that follows every single rule that is written. Code enforcement for hospitals.

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Or taking out a window on the 25th floor. That was fun. I wish I still had the picture of me sitting on the ledge.

With alot of the work I'm currently doing at hospitals you cant just replace units. Sure any where else a package unit may get swapped out, but at hospitals its cheaper to replace the coils and compressor than it is to put in a new one. We've done complete rebuilds on package units where the only original bit was the sheet metal frame. Per OSHPD that's fine. The only exception are replacing smaller mushroom exhaust fans that dont serve critical areas.

Hell as I write this I'm replacing a condenser coil on a split system. Kinda crazy but its an easy 10 hours of OT.

When I did residential my limit was about 20 years depending on the location. I had a unit that was about 100 yards from the ocean on top of a building. It was 3 years old and the fins were already starting to flake off. That unit would be lucky to make it to 10 years. Granted some of these new coatings look promising but I have yet to try them.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    Yes exactly. I forget not everyone knows who they are. They serve a purpose, but it's a pain when you have to bring engineers in to replace a simple piece of equipment. I've gotten into a few arguments with their engineers. They wouldn't let my foreman into the job site when they were building a new tower because they knew he would call out their stupid designs. Now

Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I'll bet that 99 out of 100 people here reading this don't know what OSHPD is.

Let's put it this way . . . They are about the only regulatory organization/agency that follows every single rule that is written. Code enforcement for hospitals.

12. Likes BBeerme, kdean1 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post

I replaced condenser coils on commercial equipment. If you're talking about incremental units that's not what we're talking about. P tax things like that you can always buy a unit have a spare that runs and then fix the other one. Residential applications unit test 15 years old even 10 if it's out of warranty should just go in my opinion. Replace a compressor in a 10 year old unit especially heat pump has so much that can go wrong with it I don't think it's worth the money it's an easy 1500 bucks for a compressor change.

Post Likes
    Can we all just agree with theklux on the premise that everything has an expiration date. At 550 posts theklux should be replaced on this forum.

By the way I’ve made wiring repairs to a 100 year old gravity furnace. Maybe I should have pushed a 5 digit replacement including asbestos abement instead of a bill of hundreds. Hmmmm
    UA Proud Local 539

You can fix anything with the right amount of time and money.

15. Likes BALloyd liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnasty View Post
    Can we all just agree with theklux on the premise that everything has an expiration date. At 550 posts theklux should be replaced on this forum.

By the way Ive made wiring repairs to a 100 year old gravity furnace. Maybe I should have pushed a 5 digit replacement including asbestos abement instead of a bill of hundreds. Hmmmm
    Absolutely

17. Dislikes GenesisRefrig disliked this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456