Post Likes

Evaporator Fan Removal to Decrease BTU's in a Multi Fan WICO/ WIFR System

Came across something I have never heard or been taught, this particular system has two seperate evaporators with 4 fans each, a single condenser. I was the usual service guy on this but I got pnuemonia and they called another company, since then, he has worked on serveral things at serveral locations, the owner calls me to follow up on what he has done, so on this one, I found he removed a fan from each side and cover(kinda) the hole, I ask him why, he said the system was miss matched and he needed to bring the btu's down on the evaporators to match the condenser, O.o was my look, and he copied it back to me... He said he called the manufacturer and they told him it was miss matched, when I called them, gave them the build number from the info inside the unit, they said it was built to specs, I did not go further with the model/ serial # data to confirm, and the units compressor has blown a low side valve, prior to my arrival. I am speculating, the missing fans could have played a roll in this, also after arrival, I found both TXV's wide open and over 100 psi on the suction, but that is off tread, so back to tread, is the removing of a fan from an evaporator something that is in practice? I have always been taught to keep all the fans working or it can cause several different problems, to include a verying superheat, to the point that you cant adjust it properly, much like a dirty evaporator and trying to adjust subcool. Did I miss something somewhere in the last 30 years?

Post Likes
    O.o
    Still have the same surface area of coil...

Post Likes
    So he thinks by reducing the CFM's over the coil by 25% its not going to flood back?

That other company just made your boss some bucks!

Post Likes
    I would be curious what the compressor sh went to after fan removal. I know it went down but how far. This is by far the most hack or uneducated thing I think I’ve heard. What problem existed that oversized was suspected. Hey icemeister or phm your thoughts?
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    I would be curious what the compressor sh went to after fan removal. I know it went down but how far. This is by far the most hack or uneducated thing I think I’ve heard. What problem existed that oversized was suspected. Hey icemeister or phm your thoughts?
    SH was never checked!

I like competition like that.

Picked up a client last year.....

Competition had her convinced the 8 Heatcraft units on the roof had a safety that shut them down when ambient air hit 95°f.

Condensers were plugged from the laundry mat exhausting up there.
    She just went thru a heat wave with NO failures.
    $$$$$$$$$$$

6. Likes RMSG01 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    I rolled my eyes when I read about the removal of a fan to correct a "mismatch"...mainly because the manufacturer's mismatch response and the fact that the other company actually removed a fan to correct it.

These are two examples of a little knowledge can be worse than none at all. When they can't figure out the cause of a problem based on what they know, they tend to place the blame on things they know less about.

This is why the TXV is most often the suspected simply because they don't know how it works. The same can be said for the system mismatch.

8. Likes crazzycajun liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I rolled my eyes when I read about the removal of a fan to correct a "mismatch"...mainly because the manufacturer's mismatch response and the fact that the other company actually removed a fan to correct it.

These are two examples of a little knowledge can be worse than none at all. When they can't figure out the cause of a problem based on what they know, they tend to place the blame on things they know less about.

This is why the TXV is most often the suspected simply because they don't know how it works. The same can be said for the system mismatch.

TXV's are almost trouble free in my experience. I've replaced very few and usually not the entire valve. I don't think I would have considered removing a fan. Short circuiting and all. I would have expected the coil to ice up.
    Like the guy I ran into that would remove the TXV bulb and put it in the air stream for more cooling.
    Or charging R22 to a 225# head anytime, anywhere.
    I should have played the g'tar on the MTV. MK

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    SH was never checked!

I like competition like that.

Picked up a client last year.....

Competition had her convinced the 8 Heatcraft units on the roof had a safety that shut them down when ambient air hit 95°f.

Condensers were plugged from the laundry mat exhausting up there.
    She just went thru a heat wave with NO failures.
    $$$$$$$$$$$
    yes I doubt superheat was ever checked, he showed up while I was going over the system and had a compressor in hand, two TXV's, a new jug of 404A, did not have a drier, so after talking to the owner, and since they needed the cooler, he said to let that guy install the new compressor, so I pulled a dryer off my truck for him to use. I am still wondering why he would have him put the compressor in, of course, he probably doesn't want to rock the boat, who knows, just guess it will cost someone a lot of money. I believe it was low on refrigerant, I shot some dye in the system and found a couple suspect leaks, even pointed them out to him and he said, "No, thats not leaking, I have yellow dye on everything, it probably just dripped off" I just did another one of those, O.o looks at him and said, well ok and grabbed my dye injector and tools and said, "Have at it" oh, and he has used that 95 deg F ambient safety with them on other equipment, other places as well and told them he could replace it with better equipment that could handle that kind of stress, when I ask him what the equipment was, he said, "Goodman"

I just don't get it sometimes, with these guys.