Post Likes

ICP ductless mini split help

Hi gentleman,
    I'm working on an icp DLC4H624K1A heat pump.
    Customer had it installed 1.5 years ago by a guy who is no longer around. Since the install he was back once to pull charge and fix an H3 error code.

I'm new to the customer (new neighbour) and he called me as it went off on h3 error again.
    Upon diagnosing I have 250psi resting pressure, activate cooling and I pill into a vacuum fairly quickly. Roughly 20-30 secs. Pressure stays there until it goes off on this error.
    While under operation I pulled the coil for the reversing valve and through my magnet on it and woosh it moves freely. However suction pressure went to 400 plus.

So I have a restriction, I have never seen this happen on a ductless. My guess is in the electronic expansion valve, piping diagram also shows 2 strainers. One before and one after the exv( they just look like copper bulbs, not servicable)

The previous tech also added a liquid drier.

Anyway to prove the restriction is in the exv? Could it be the mod valve itself? Or would is be the actual valve. I don't have much experience with these.

My plan is to order a new exv body and coil and swap em both out. But they really need this a.c. working (Very hot here and they are elderly).
    Any advice?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    As far as I know in my limited experience with minis, the manufacturers universally oppose the use of filter driers. It may or may not be related to the problem in this case, but you could check for a temp diff on it. The strainers like to clog up if you have a dirty system. Was the drier added after a burnout repair, or did the installers just put one in for kicks?

Post Likes
    Unfortunately I don't know the specifics and neither does the homeowner. All he knows is they pulled the refrigerant and added that drier. I'll be removing it regardless but I don't suspect it to be the problem (May be adding to it)

I'm trying to find out if those eev are 100 percent open or closed with no power. When I pulled the coil off it, while it was running it did nothing to change my suction pressure. Makes me think the body's stuck 100 percent closed.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Purcell1 View Post
    I'm trying to find out if those eev are 100 percent open or closed with no power. When I pulled the coil off it, while it was running it did nothing to change my suction pressure. Makes me think the body's stuck 100 percent closed.
    EEVs are usually needle valves that spin open and shut, so removing the armature coil may not do anything to change its state, whether it's open or closed or in between.

5. Likes hvacskills liked this post